So I picked up a couple hundred pounds of brisket and Boston butts yesterday...

You know it's not a good cook unless it gets weird. And... We're there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doooooone finally. Took more time to pull and package the pork than it did for slicing and packing the brisket. I pulled them all by heat resistant gloved hand so I could fish out all the undesirable bits.

I'm beat, kudos to those of you that do this regularly, tons of work and I had the benefit of being in my own driveway for it.

Alright, finally got some rest and some clean hands to upload some of the pics from the prep and cook.

With the trimming, my goal was to trim away whatever was required to get the brisket to lay flat, any hangy bits, and any darkened/bruised/unrenderable meat. I feel like they cook more uniformly for me when they're all one approximate thickness.

Regarding the "Excel vs Black Canyon" briskets, turns out that I did end up liking the Black Canyon briskets better, though they both sliced and tasted great.

What I liked about the Black Canyon ones is the direction of the grain in the flat in relation to the point - made it very easy to slice. I could definitely recognize which ones were the Black Canyon briskets after cooking them.

I was very happy with the results of the USDA choice "angus" beef that Sam's has.

Attachments

• trim1.jpg
    trim1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 94
  • trim10.jpg
    trim10.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 94
  • trim9.jpg
    trim9.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 93
  • trim8.jpg
    trim8.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 94
  • trim7.jpg
    trim7.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 94
  • trim6.jpg
    trim6.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 93
  • trim5.jpg
    trim5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 93
  • trim4.jpg
    trim4.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 94
  • trim3.jpg
    trim3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 93
  • trim2.jpg
    trim2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 93
The cook went well, the Shirley was running a little cooler than I normally have it the first several hours of the cook, but halfway through I was running 275* as a median right where I like it. There was 5* difference or less between the top and middle shelves. very even heat distribution. They all finished within a couple hours of each other, the 2 main outliers being the larger briskets that I ended up not wrapping. Otherwise, the 8 were more within an hour window of one another.

The brisket sliced up really nicely and was the perfect level of tenderness I like, just enough to still pass the pull test. It was really juicy, even the last 2 bigger briskets that I did not wrap still had basically the same interior texture.

Attachments

• cut4.jpg
    cut4.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 92
  • cut3.jpg
    cut3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 91
  • cut1.jpg
    cut1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 92
  • prepd7.jpg
    prepd7.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 92
  • prepd5.jpg
    prepd5.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 91
  • prepd6.jpg
    prepd6.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 91
  • prepd4.jpg
    prepd4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 91
  • prepd3.jpg
    prepd3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 92
  • prepd1.jpg
    prepd1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 92
I agree on them cooking evenly when you get the thickness just right. :thumb:

The pork turned out pretty well too, though there were a couple I only used part of due to not being rendered enough. We had a cold front coming through (supposed to snow this morning) and my energy level was dropping and I think I rushed the last couple. We still wound up with a ton of pulled pork though, I'm going to go weigh it in a bit. My brother did a good job with the injection and it had good flavor throughout. We added a dusting of rub and a splash of apple juice prior to putting it into the vacuum bags and ice bath.

The chicken turned out pretty tasty too - the lower rack is a great place to cook chicken, where it gets some radiant heat off the reverse flow tunnel. I cooked them for 1.75 hours skin side up, then flipped them over for the last 30-45 minutes and got some great skin.

I'm glad I did it, and I'm glad it's over. Anything that made its way into a vacuum bag is something that meets my standards and I'd feel fine serving to anyone. I honestly think the brisket was not only the best I'd ever personally cooked, but the best I'd eaten anywhere. :shock:

Attachments

• pb7.jpg
    pb7.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 91
  • pb6.jpg
    pb6.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 91
  • pb5.jpg
    pb5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 91
  • pb4.jpg
    pb4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 90
  • pb3.jpg
    pb3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 91
  • pb2.jpg
    pb2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 91
  • pb1.jpg
    pb1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 91
  • chx1.jpg
    chx1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 91
Wound up with about 52lbs of cooked pork, not including the 2 that I didn't use much from. Probably would've had about 60lbs if those were usable. As is my yield was about 50% including the loss of 1.5 butts, so I would say that's right about where I expected. :thumb:

I hope you are taking a well deserved nap. You definitely earned it!

Gotta go over to the in laws to eat this afternoon, but after that I'm going to drink a few high octane IPA's and park my butt on the couch for several hours, where it shall remain until I go to bed :thumb:

Back