THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokingmeats

Knows what a fatty is.
WP_20141116_003_zps7bea119b.jpg

WP_20141116_005_zps740e83fd.jpg

This smoker off of craigslist for $200. Its 2 55 gallon drums welded together. There are 2 racks for meats. A chimney with adjustable damper
2 temperature gauges.

It came with some ceramic stones. Ive never used those before. What purpose do ceramic stones serve?

Im the idiot that put my WSM on fire a few weeks ago...

Cant wait to try this new thing out this week.

Thoughts?

My guess is that they are used as a heat sink, similar to the water pan in a WSM, but that's just a guess :-D

Cool

That looks like a neat little rig for all kinds of food and it is a vertical design of the horizontal, double barrel cooker I have seen before. After I had my pit for a while I learned about keeping fire bricks in the fire box to hold temps more consistently. This may be the same reason for the ceramic stones, especially in a thinner, metal sided cooker.

I plan on making a fire basket for this. Is there a type of steel for the mesh part of the basket that I should avoid? Sounds like I should avoid galvanized steel and use stainless.

Last edited:
This smoker off of craigslist for $200. Its 2 55 gallon drums welded together. There are 2 racks for meats. A chimney with adjustable damper
2 temperature gauges.

Looks like a large capacity cook is in your future....

It came with some ceramic stones. Ive never used those before. What purpose do ceramic stones serve?

I have to agree with Ron_L .... They probably sit on the lower shelf and act to even out the heat from the coals as it rises. I think without them consistency may be an issue with the heat. Try it and keep us posted...

Im the idiot that put my WSM on fire a few weeks ago... Cant wait to try this new thing out this week.

Consider it a learning experience that worked itself into an upgrade...

Keep us posted with your results....

Interesting UDDS. I look forward to seeing how it cooks.

I gotta know, though, what happened with the WSM? If it was posted here, I missed it.

Back