THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had something similar happen pulling a boat. I think it took me a day or two to come down off of that. Glad everyone is OK!

AFter that I took it to a guy my grandfather knew. He tacked the polts in place. Theory being that anybody qualified to work on it should be able to deal with it. It didn't cost me much, and the important thing is that I didn't spend all my time watching the mirrors the next time I pulled it:wink:

spicewine said:
Bummer!!! Glad no one was hurt!! I have had alot of tire issues with my motorhome so I feel your pain. If I was the Pit builder, I would be pissing my pants and praying that I don't get a Law Suit!! That is why we weld our axels on.

Spice
The Langs have a leaf spring suspension, and they are the only parts that are not welded. Hence an area for trouble. The one thing Ben did mention when I picked up my trailer, was to check the trailer out when I finaly made it home. I am a gear head, so I did double check (finding nothing out of place), but you never know. I am wondering what Ben will say when he hears about this.

I think it would be in Ben's best interest to substitute self locking nuts on the leaf spring U-Clamps. A few extra cents could save someone from serious injury. For those of you that have those cookers, go to the hardware store and replace the nuts with self lockers. JMO

Spice

Jay,

Not to change the subject but we may do business very soon. Is your large non trailer smoker enough to do a whole KCBS cook (ie. 2 briskets, 2 butts and 8 racks of ribs)?

spicewine said:
I think it would be in Ben's best interest to substitute self locking nuts on the leaf spring U-Clamps. A few extra cents could save someone from serious injury. For those of you that have those cookers, go to the hardware store and replace the nuts with self lockers. JMO

Spice

My Lang pit does have lock nuts holding the U bolts to the leaf springs.

spicewine said:
That's good to hear. They are alot safer unless they are the Nylon insert type. Once they are removed they are not self locking anymore.

Rut-Ruo I've has mine off a few times. I think we may tack weld them in place.

They make an all steel lock nut that you can use more than once. It is about a grade 8 hardness but will survive maybe one change. Don't quote me on that!! It is much safer to just put on new nuts.

Spice

You can also double nut them with a little of the red lock-tite. Because of this discussion, I just e-mailed a buddy to remind him to check out his boat trailer. Don't weld, as the heat will affect the spring rate, and you might need to remove the bolts at one time or another. If you like the nylock nuts, just go to HD an pick up a few. They are only $.30 or so each. Personally, I just prefer double nutting.

LostNation said:
Rut-Ruo I've has mine off a few times. I think we may tack weld them in place.

I'd use blue locktite (service removeable) or get new lock nuts. Once you tack weld them you won't be able to tighten them up when the U bolts stretch, which they probably will. Don't use red locktite. That chit ruins the threads.

I think I'll double nut them with new steel lock nuts. The nuts we have on now are evenly spaced and that was a pain in the butt. This weekend we are adding 18X18X36 inch under mount tool boxes to each side in front of the tires. we have new fenders and 2 pair of oval LED lights.

I may need a new cooker, we're running out of chit to weld to it.

Back