Smoky Mountain gas smokers

Take out the chip box and set the fry pan right on the burner.. there is sheet metal to rest it on. Works great.

B

Blutch said:
Take out the chip box and set the fry pan right on the burner.. there is sheet metal to rest it on. Works great.

B

Gotchya. That ought to be fairly easy to refill as well. Is there a point during a cook that you wouldn't keep refilling?

I have used one for a couple years, if you use chunks of wood instead of chips it will smoke longer and you can leave the top off the smoke box so you can get more chunks in it.

SmokeyBear said:
Gotchya. That ought to be fairly easy to refill as well. Is there a point during a cook that you wouldn't keep refilling?

When I first started using mine, I made the mistake of filling the smoker box entirely and then adding to it again...and in some cases..again. However, after reading tips on here and another board, I started just putting in one or two chunks in order to get just a wisp of smoke. After about 2 hrs or so, you really do not need anymore smoke as the meat will only take so much. You just need to experiment some and see how it tastes. Start off with less then add more if you feel it needs it.
my 2 cents

On days I don't have the time to keep the Bandera fed with hardwoods, I stick the turkey fryer propane burner in it and use a cast iron skillet to burn the wood in. I got my cast iron skillets at Harbor Freight, $10 for 3 sizes I believe I paid. It works fantastic and hold temps on those cold windy days when I HAVE to have some Q.

Back