THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KevinJ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Smoking St Louis Cut Ribs today, if it was just me I would have cut off the flap on the backside and smoked the whole slab, it's not so time to trim, both slabs were about 4.75lbs before trimming. I shop at a Navy Base Commissary and have BB's, St Louis and Slabs to choose from unfortunately the St L's are packed with a 7% solution of water and salt. I have tried them in the past and didn't like them, so I trim my own. Bad thing about it Slabs are $2.08 and the St L's are only $2.11 per pound so it would be cheaper to just go with the St L's.

IMG_0334_zpsbrqaiauf.jpg

Time to trim

IMG_0335_zpssfua3dt5.jpg

IMG_0340_zps7mjs7a7k.jpg

After pulling the membrane

IMG_0341_zpshtvyhmyb.jpg

Nice and meaty

IMG_0342_zpsxyaa7a5z.jpg

Both racks trimmed

IMG_0343_zpslr4amgtd.jpg

Not to let the Rib Tips and trimmed parts go to waste they will also be smoked, I will pull the meat and use it for Beans and maybe even a Pulled Rib Meat sandwich. I have to say Pulled Rib Meat over Pulled Pork. :shock:

IMG_0344_zpsnaequ4n5.jpg

Slathered with Louisiana Hot Sauce

IMG_0346_zpsxnh5que4.jpg

Trying a new Rub today Butchers BBQ Premium Rub (I'll let you know what I think)

IMG_0349_zpstdshltas.jpg

Because of Church and timing I was planning on cooking these at 300 and pulling them between 3 to 3.5 hours, I will check them for color in 2 hours, I don't plan on wrapping but if they start getting dark due to the Rub I'll wrap them in BP. Grate temp when I put them on was 266, one hour later the grate temp It's 279

IMG_0352_zpsrv1dfplz.jpg

You can come over and try to steal my Ribs if you want to :mrgreen:

IMG_0353_zpsawgmhl4y.jpg

Time to set back, enjoy a pour and let magic happen :wink:

IMG_0351_zpsovcrpo42.jpg

Yes!! Rib tips are a nice treat for me at the very end when you get the munchies after quite a few adult beverages.

Looking great Kevin!

Looking good!

Never thought of using a hot sauce instead of mustard for a base, great idea.

Looking good!

Never thought of using a hot sauce instead of mustard for a base, great idea.
I use to always use Mustard and it never really added anything to the cook, taste wise IMO. The Hot Sauce seems to give it a a little bit of twang not pronounced but I think it adds something. :wink:

2.5 hours in, grate temp jumped to 336 so I decided to wrap with Butcher Paper for an hour (normally I don't wrap Ribs) closed a couple of bottom vents and at 3hrs into the cook put on the Mac N Cheese. Unwrapped the Ribs for the last 30 minutes and glazed one with Swamp Boys Original (highly recommended).

4hr cook on the Ribs

IMG_0364_zpsmymoiv6c.jpg

Smoked Mac N Cheese

Forgot to buy a larger pan so I did with what I had todo.

IMG_0366_zpskmpdyo3q.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Back