THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joshw

Babbling Farker
A couple of weeks ago, I tried smoking some cheese with the A-Maze-N tube for the first time. It turned out amazing. On a 9 hour cook, I had to fill the tube a couple of times, so I quickly ordered the tray. With temps warming up around here, I decided if I was going to get to smoke any more cheese, I better get it done. Got 2lbs sharp cheddar, 2lbs mozzarella, 2lbs swiss, 2lbs of colby jack, 5lbs of monterey jack, and 1lb of queso fresco. overall 14lbs of cheese. Outside temp is 51, and after 30 minutes the pit temp is 55, so it looks like the tray adds about 4 degrees so far. Anybody, have any experience freezing cheese?

Attachments

Looks like a fine cheesy future Josh. It seems like it always to war down here to think about doing this.

Hottest outside temp today was 54, and the grate temp at it's highest with the pellet tray going was 68, which was a 14 degree increase. So I think 60 to 65 would be the max ambient temp to do it without adding ice to your cooker. It is all looking good, I got 1 piece a little too close to the pellet tray, and I got probably an ounce or two a little hot. I can't wait to try the queso fresco on some tacos. Going to try to get something entered into the TD by Sunday.

Looking great, Josh! Today was a beautiful day here too! :-D
I wrap and freeze cheese with no problem. It isn't as great as fresh but it's better than no smoked cheese at all. lol :-D

Looking great, Josh! Today was a beautiful day here too! :-D
I wrap and freeze cheese with no problem. It isn't as great as fresh but it's better than no smoked cheese at all. lol :-D

A beautiful day. Kind of what I thought on the cheese. I figure I will vacuum seal it, and hope for the best.

I have no problems smoking cheese if I keep it under 90° in the smoker Prefer it at about 75°.

I just vacuum pack it after it has fully cooled a day or two and keep it in the drawer of the deck fridge. I have had some 5 years with no problem but most gets used before then.

Some cheeses freeze better than others. I find that the crumblier cheeses like cheddar are even more crumbly after freezing but are fine if you are crumbling or shredding for cooking. Mozzarella and Swiss freeze much better. See what works for you.

I never freeze my smoked or any other kind of cheese. It stores beautifully (It actually improves) vacuum packed. The smoked mozzarella is sublime aged a year, trust me-your pizza and lasagna will never be the same.

Back