Smoking ribs that have been marinaded?

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jim
I've always used rubs on my ribs in the smoker. I make a nice jerk chicken wing with a marinade that has citrus juice, olive oil, soy sauce and spices. I am thinking of doing jerk ribs but I'm wondering how marinades take to smoke. I'd need to marinade for a day. Honestly I've never smoked anything that's been marinated for a while and I'm not sure if there could be off flavors doing it low and slow like that.

I haven't done that either, but my mouth is watering just thinking about the concept. I can't wait to hear the comments that come up. What I can say is you are also smoking the marinated Chicken, so I wouldn't think there would be much difference.

You will be just fine smoking them I do some pretty close to what you have described and they turn out outstanding doing a low and slow smoke.

I do reserve some of the marinade or make extra for basting or using it as a glaze after the cook is complete.

Following along on this.... Our local meat shop has a ton of marinated ribs hanging out, but I haven't tried it yet.

Please let us know how it goes!

I'll give it a shot. When I do wings, it's vortex hot and fast so not quite as much smoke. I have 2 racks of ribs. I'll do one regular and one with the marinade. Hoping to smoke them Saturday. I'll update.

Jerk ribs (I've used Walkerswood & Grace) work like a champ.

Also, I love doing some Thai-inspired ribs from here on the forum that are marinated overnight and finished with a glaze at the end.

You'll do just fine.

My best recommendation would be to pat them dry before putting into the smoker so the smoke hits the meat and as mentioned above glaze with some of the reserved marinade. Sounds wonderful!

Yaker

No issues with marinades and smoke - do it all the time. It may be blasphemous in some circles but you can even marinade a brisket or pork butt and the sky will not fall. :-D

this past monday was the first time i smoked a rack that WASNT marinated/brined in at least a year.

reserve some of the marinade for the wrap

signal-2020-12-20-175622.jpg

..ran outa lemons so i had to use some limes, but these were greek/gyro spares. added some of that reserved marinade to water down some tzaziki, and of course those lemon and limes in the wrap

& they made me wish i took the few minutes time to make some fresh pitas instead of my traditional bbq plate of generic crap bread. at least i had some good fresh flour tortilas, lol

Well my verdict is that they weren't great. I don't blame marinating them for them not being awesome. I just think the jerk marinade I used wasn't the best for ribs and it didn't really work well with the smoke flavor. It's great on wings that I vortex grill.

Anyhow here's the recipe I use, with the spice house jerk seasoning. I won't use it for ribs again. But if you want an awesome jerk wing this is the way to go...

https://www.thespicehouse.com/blogs/recipes/jamaican-jerk-marinade-recipe

Back