THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M

mpbbq

Just bought a 4Lbs pork belly. I see alot of people smoke to the temp of 165. Not sure that will breakdown the fat enough. I also saw that it has been smoke to 200 like a shoulder. Any suggestions.

Just bought a 4Lbs pork belly. I see alot of people smoke to the temp of 165. Not sure that will breakdown the fat enough. I also saw that it has been smoke to 200 like a shoulder. Any suggestions.

I do pork belly quite a bit.
I pull it off and rest it when temps hit 160 but that is after confirming with a finger poke or three but it has proven to be the temp most reliable, but I'm using good farm raised pork.
Fat renders no issue, it renders lower than that.

I was not happy with the experiments at higher internal temps so that is where I am at.

Oh, rest for at least 20 minutes, tented.

When I cure them for bacon I smoke them at lower temps and pull them at lower temps.

When I cook them fresh I tend to cook hotter, but I'm still working on my procedure..... skin-on, skin-off, wrap or not to wrap, etc. Rendering the fat is not as easy as I thought it would be. One thing is, they are plenty moist and full of flavor.

Here is a fresh one I roasted in the 350* range until it was tender.

IMG_1093copy.jpg

Back