THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke Avenger

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jeremy
Me and my son went on the offshore trip of a lifetime and loaded up on snapper and tuna. I grilled some fresh off the boat while we were in the beach house in Port Aransas, and it was some of the best seafood I've ever eaten. The majority is in my freezer now, and I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for smoked fish. My main smoker is an LSG offset, but I have an MES,a pellet rig, and a vertical cabinet gas smoker if either would work better.

Attachments

• 20190804_203538.jpg
    20190804_203538.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 132
YESSSS! I cannot wait until my grandson gets old enough to go!Maybe it will get his mind on other things than damned baseball!:mmph:

I used to fish in the Kingfish tournament at Dolphin Dock in Port Aransas.
Looks like y'all did very well on the King Mackeral also.

How many were fishing to bring in a catch like that?

Great Catch!
I prefer to cold smoke. Or more correctly, Ambient smoke. Anything below 100° F.
How I do that is to use an Amazen Tray, and Apple wood pellets dissolved down to sawdust and dried. During the summer I cold smoke at night.
I would suggest you use your vertical smoker. Start with test batches. When you hit on the flavor you like, from the time and amount of smoke applied, you will have your winner dinner.

I smoke a lot of Salmon filets. Mine are caught on the pier at Sam's Club in the freezer section. I always get my limit. :wink:
Then I thaw the whole bag (3 pounds), brine them in Salt and Brown Sugar overnight in the fridge. (Used to be 3 pounds. Now it's 2.5 for the price of 3. :evil: )
Rinse. Form the pelical. And smoke slow and low for 6 hours.
After the chunks cool, I vacuum bag with a sprinkle of dill weed (dried).
Then refreeze as individual portions again. Ready to Sous Vide, or boil in the bag.

I use a "Mailbox Mod" for my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. But lots of folks simply set the tray in the bottom of their chosen smoker box, and run it that way. Works fine.
You can use Pellets or Sawdust with the tray.
I've come to like the sawdust method the best because it is cooler, and I like the flavor best.

So get your catch filleted up and vacuum bagged and frozen. Then you will be ready to fix it any way you'd like, Smoked, Grilled, Sous Vide, or Sousy.

Thank y'all for the compliments and tips. There were 30 people on the boat, but only about half of us fished the whole time. Me and my son caught over 20 fish each. My arms are history. :shock:

Back