THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carlyle

is one Smokin' Farker
New this year is the Fareway Foods Challenge - Category winner in Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket will receive an additional $ 500 per category but only if that meat was purchased from Fareway Foods . Verified at meat inspection.
We have a new Fareway in Owatonna, but any Fareway Foods is OK.

Also new this year is our link with Central Iowa BBQ from a couple of weeks ago. Top cumulative score from one of their back to back contests plus our score wins a free entry to one day of Central Iowa and free entry in Smokin in Steele for 2015.

We are excited at both of these enhancements to our purse of $ 10,000.
Again this year we will be paying to 10 places in all 4 categories plus our
distinctive black granite laser etched tiles.

We expect another large field this year for the Kids Q sponsored by Fruita
Wood Chunks and BBQ. Again this year no charge for registration - and that is almost like free. 7- 10 year olds cook hamburger , 11-15 cook steak.
Cash prize of $ 100 for steak and $75 for hamburger courtesy of Fruita. Plus every child gets a $25 gift certificate good at Fruita's web site.

The Backyard already has as many entries as we had last year. It will be fun again.

The modified garden tractor pull will again entertain. This is a fan and team favorite.

Blues fans from the upper midwest are registering to hear our 12 world class blues bands. The Beer Garden will be rockin.

There will be free kids harmonica lessons in our Blues 4 Kids program
complete with a free harmonica.

As always we offer a choice of grass or asphalt sites, electricity and water
are close and our bathrooms are all indoors plus we have indoor showers.
Teams have found we are attentive with ice and garbage service.

We are getting set for a grand time again. All this is missing is you .

Go to : www.smokininsteele.com and get registered.

Sent in a bit ago...really lookin forward to it and some nice weather. Will we be receiving a entrance packet or email that we are all set?

Untraceable- electricity is plentiful and close by. We are set up in the area of our county
fairgrounds where the concession stands are. Really looking forward to
to meeting you. I am sure you will find juice not to be a problem no
matter where you are on the grounds.

Iowa Wild Hogs - Yep you are in the "on deck" list and as soon as we get your check you
are good to go. Looking forward to seeing you.
Pig Tamer - If I remember correctly, you are all set. I don't have that list in front of me
at the moment. Not sure what Walt, our registration guy, does for pre
contest communication. Will email him your concern. Look for an email
from him. Will be happy to see you too.

OK, bring your questions or comments. If I can't answer, I usually know who to ask.

It is going to be a great time.

This is easily one of our favorite contests we do every year. If you haven't been there before, come on down! It is always a great time! Lyle and his crew go above and beyond to make it an excellent weekend--even if it does start pouring in the middle of the wards ceremony! :p

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Are you going to be here? Maybe trying to keep David out of trouble?

Thanks Ryan. The compliment means a lot. Really appreciate that.

It is not really going above and beyond when you are helping people that you like.

I will share these words with our committee. They will be pleased and inspired.

We treasure the relationships we have with the teams. And that makes it easy to want

to go out and develop new opportunities for the teams like the substantial reward

of the Fareway Food Challenge or the free entries for us and Boone IA for top

cumulative score.

And with any luck there will not be a downpour during awards this year - no matter

who wins GC!

So who else is coming????

BBQ teams and cooks - as a judge, I'd like to add that this is one of the best organized and well-run contests I've judged (more than once). I believe you'd really like this one. Please come - the more the merrier. Good facilities and good site.

BBQ teams and cooks - as a judge, I'd like to add that this is one of the best organized and well-run contests I've judged (more than once). I believe you'd really like this one. Please come - the more the merrier. Good facilities and good site.

Yes Please more teams!! I want to get off the "on deck" judges table :pray:

Nice to hear from some judges too. Fred - I am working on it.

Dan, great to hear from you. Really looking forward to seeing you again. Know you had a good time last year. Make sure you check out the Fareway Challenge.

Justin - we always have a good time when you are here too. Gong to be fun again this year. See you soon.

I'll be pulling in on Friday and staying until Sunday morning, hopefully the campground won't be wet this year :razz:.

My only complaint about this contest is that I didn't start judging it soon enough!

I will echo the same as many have already. This is one of the best contests in the upper midwest. Love to compete at it, even if it is 2 miles away from my home. Come on out for this one if you have not been, returning teams Welcome back to OWATONNA.

Lucky 7's - we got the check . Thanks and welcome.

Got the word from Fareway: they will take orders for parsley and lettuce for garnish that you can pick up Friday when you get here. It will be fresh produce.

Just email us directly , or to the website, or send me a PM if you want to order.

They are really going all out to be an involved and great sponsor.
This is in addition to the Fareway Challenge of an extra $500 for each category winner
if using Fareway meat.

Back