THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5-0 BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
I just got word today that SMOKIN’ ON THE BAY is still looking for teams. I was asked if I would spread the word to the Brethren.

This is a first year event with $10,000.00 in prize money. :clap2:

Tracys Landing, MD
Starts: 09/03/2011
Ends: 09/04/2011
KCBS Reps: NANCY MULLER, DON MULLER

Contact Information:
Dave Mullin
Phone: 443-510-3795
smokinonthebay@yahoo.com

I talked to the organizer during Holy Smoke last weekend, and evidently they are doing a -lot- for hospitality and such to attract teams. (They were also trying to get their last few teams to beat 15, which I think they did at the competition.) That was bittersweet though - we selected it for our first competition to avoid competing against some of the best teams in bbq :) but it should be a lively event. I haven't been out to the marina but a few friends have, they say its absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone else gonna be there?

..speaking of "some of the best teams" :) Congrats on the walks at Holy Smoke. That heat was brutal, even going home to sleep Fri night (and skipping the middle of the day Sat) we were wiped out, I don't even want to think about being there all weekend. (But, of course, I hope we will be next year..)

Looks like I will be there. We did not plan on it since my wife is due the first week of October. We will be helping a friend of mine that is coming out of a five year break from competition.

Plus we built his pit so I want to see that baby run.

I emailed the organizer with a few questions and am waiting for a response before I send in my application. If all goes well, we'll be there.

I talked to the organizer during Holy Smoke last weekend, and evidently they are doing a -lot- for hospitality and such to attract teams. (They were also trying to get their last few teams to beat 15, which I think they did at the competition.) That was bittersweet though - we selected it for our first competition to avoid competing against some of the best teams in bbq :) but it should be a lively event. I haven't been out to the marina but a few friends have, they say its absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone else gonna be there?

First comp, eh? Need any help, just ask.

Got a spare brisket I can turn in? ;) I think I'm just gonna do the other 3 this time around, spend the winter/spring getting a good brisket together. I'm sure there's going to be stuff we forget (reading all the checklist threads now..) and stuff we mess up, but it'll be fun anyway :)

Got a spare brisket I can turn in? ;) I think I'm just gonna do the other 3 this time around, spend the winter/spring getting a good brisket together. I'm sure there's going to be stuff we forget (reading all the checklist threads now..) and stuff we mess up, but it'll be fun anyway :)

I agree with Chris. Just buy a flat, season and put it on the same time as your butt(s). Pull at 195 internal. You can make it a lot more complex than that if you want, or keep it simple for your first time.

I agree with Chris. Just buy a flat, season and put it on the same time as your butt(s). Pull at 195 internal. You can make it a lot more complex than that if you want, or keep it simple for your first time.

Tried one in practice, it worked great. (Well.. mostly. I carved it and it was tough as nails - fully expected 2s & 3s in tenderness. The next day I went to slice it for sandwiches and realized that the meat had curled up and I had basically sliced it at a 45 degree vertical angle. Doh! Sliced it flat and it came out fine.)

The other reason I was considering skipping brisket was grill space - the cheap offset gave its all during practice cooks, and the Beast (double 55gal woodstove kit) is pretty much unmanageable. So I built a UDS instead :) Should be room for 2 butts and 2 briskets on together. (I'll find out at next week's practice.)

Back