Smokes Meat Loaf-South of the Border Style

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kai
I originally stole this from Sam the Cooking Guy and have made it a number of times. It is a pretty good recipe but the best part is the left over sandwiches!

1 lb Ground pork. (I like fresh ground sausage).
1 lb Ground beef. (I use lean in that the sausage has enough fat).
1 Seven ounce can of diced green chilies. I add the the whole can, juice and all.
2 TBSP thick soy sauce (paste). I dont have this and have never seen it where I live. I use sweet soy sauce and have used regular too. Can go without and it will not make much of a difference. Just a deep flavor here.
3/4 Cup panko. (I use what ever is in the pantry. A cup and a half of BBQ chips would work too. I may try that next time).
2 Eggs
1 Pack Fajita seasoning. Be careful here. I have used several but last week I used Lawry's. The final product had a bit more salt than I would have liked.

I mix and make two loafs in that I generally pass one, or a half of one, along to others. I usually run at 250 for the entire smoke but next time I think I will take it up to 325 or so once I glaze to see how that does. If I use my pellet pooper I use what ever pellets are in the hopper. With the egg I use oak. Doesn't really matter I think. It is not in the smoke for very long.

30-40 minutes in I baste with the following glaze:

1 1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup apricot jam (I have also used pineapple preserves and I like that better).
2-3 TBSP diced chipolte peppers (you can find these with the juice in a jar in your grocery store).

I make a little more than I need with the glaze. I hold some in reserve to put on my cold sandwiches.

Smoke until 162 (ish). I like to take it to 165. Rest for a few minutes and go at it.

I hope you enjoy this. My wife does not like it, to south of the border. But she sucks at BBQ anyway. My neighbors say too spicy. But what do they know, they are from Massachusetts (sorry Ma$$holes), but for most of us it has great flavor!

Quick question, does anyone know how to remove the extra lines that get inserted when you make a post. I fixed it a long time ago but can't remember how I did it.

Cheers!

Sounds like a good recipie to me. I am the only one around here that likes spicy. Hence not too many ABTs done.

Back