THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quid Pro Q

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Josh
After firing up the recent rehab smoker, it's loosing heat all over the place. I'm going to be adding Lava gaskets around the tower and center chamber.

I've bought the following toggle clamps. I'm not worried about the center chamber, as these look like they're going to work without a problem.

31sMZQKhv3L.jpg

My concern is the tower. These are the only side mount toggles I could find:
Smoker%20Toggle%20Latch%20BBQ%20pit%20cook%20lid%20door%20chamber%20clamp%20Side%20mount%20PUSH%201.jpg

My plan is to install them on the right side of the tower, but when I put them in place, it doesnt seem like I'd be able to get them to latch. Or put in another way, I dont think there is enough clearance from the rubber head to the door. Does that make sense?

Any other ideas on how to seal the tower door?

Lastly, I plan to use RTV 650 around the fire box doors as the box is extremely drafty. If this is a bad idea, please let me know.

TQCAqYM49GaXHe8su2fW6pxdhuXbpbiZdyIBOBtIqWOcBL8Pzso1tJfqImiOlHSmraEKV_zm1two2hhyRr1Pyus69sG5-C_uScNaB63rFnxRnC5yk8weDrj7jsYRyFM8DsPdB5bS5nXbIxijFW9TU75-YCR3P9cPVXu2rDUIj4ZyKVApiZPI7WfINlbPH9I2-jTeipzA3i314pnV38ATeoGwckN5UyYyNTXbanlgtrXMf2OMwark5nTDPplyU3iW8bHwKtSe80EsuGaqg0IRxd_h7eTkE8YQOHaAWNtK2_SWBjupd4HwsBMgmk9SxkEasIpYf5CpNNa0_TknIVLdr28Wx68541vQjmb35E64qsQ6adtouRz--ymVCves_FECifjMA8ppUgKZxlcReSOOsm9cjSBLggxglZzriGlYhQSDVqycC1nJFIkJHjwCpL6H4QAIsuFD7nWXde7x4GkDei2KAg0ZwGhMa0XXwQCLFQqisg2Tt0Nohtu3O-S7dUOOsFjzjdsyOoVUIWEHM_X3vUKsP0YqHr8Ung810mxpOAoq4Go6pYwt0qvyw4ohKSrDM_CVj_ZhrWfN9hPIlgNOsLQ9EBaFjj4=w1174-h880-no

Yes I mounted them on the sides of my upright and firebox.. will be mounting them directly underneath the Main chamber doors though.. I don't see a reason why side mounting them wouldn't work though

Attachments

I have the ones that KevinJ posted on my insulated cabinet. They work great. Very easy to adjust once the gasket starts to wear in a little also.

Here's the question then:

The latch Kevin suggested...can the stopper be turned and mounted on the door to pull it closed. The latch looks like its designed to work on a flat surface. Will it work on a side mount.

Looking at the mount I posted, I'm not sure that will work either, since it wont draw the door in. Rather, it looks like it would apply pressure towards the side.

Does that makes sense?

Back