THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Im shopping around to get a new smoker that i can use at home. However i would like to be able to bring it to a competition 1 or 2 times a year and have some fun.

How big would i need the smoker to be to compete KCBS? I wouldnt be trying to cook much, just enough to enter each catergory and have fun. Maybe 3 slabs ribs, brisket, a butt, and some chicken thighs.

20x36 with two racks? 20x40 two racks? larger? smaller?

Thanks!

20x40 would be great If your gonna cook 1 brisket, 2 racks ribs, 1 butt, I. Think you will need a separate grill for chicken, IMHOa:wink:

Oooh. Am I going to be the first one to throw out the token brethren response? Build yourself a UDS. You can easily handle that line-up in a drum, plus they're very easy to transport.

You'll find most everything out there in a KCBS comp, from multiple UDS's, multiple BGE's or WSM's, to offsets & reverse flow offsets of most every size, and big and small cabinet smokers.

I mean, it's really up to you. What do you enjoy cooking with/on? <-- question for you to ask yourself

Dont let size fool you, nor price of the smoker. Most of the more expensive smokers just allow the cook to get a few hours of sleep. Doesn't mean that they cook better or produce better results. Harry Soo competes very effectively with his 2 or 3 WSM's.

thanks for the replies.

i would like to spend around $1500. Mostly this is for backyard use, and i have a lot of fun with my home made offset stickburner right now, so tahts what i would like to look for. or charcoal and chunks.

thanks!

Heck, save up a little more and get a Pitmaker Safe...the Vault is my dream cooker, but would settle for a Safe.

Right now I use Traegers and Kamado Joes, that way I can keep better color and moisture, add smoke or charcoal flavor when I want, and can dial in temps quickly. Traegers do excellent chicken. I would rather have several grills and a Stoker. I like messing with them and trying out new temps and times, so if your method changes, you can work it with different cookers.

thanks for the replies.

i would like to spend around $1500. Mostly this is for backyard use, and i have a lot of fun with my home made offset stickburner right now, so tahts what i would like to look for. or charcoal and chunks.

thanks!

You can get into a Backwoods Party for that money....of course I'm biased however......it'll hold everything you need, has a removable water pan so you can grill stuff in it (your competition chicken!) over direct coals, is light (about 130lbs), and the product they turn is excellent! Here is a party LOADED with pork butts!

Attachments

The OP has said he wants an offset below $1500.

With that in mind, Lang, Klose, and other builders come to mind.
They all have a moderate size line of cookers much like you describe.
There is a company in PA that makes a much recommened offset, I just can't remember who.

Also, Offsets seem to show up on EBay and CL often in the NE--something to check.

Shopping is always fun, for BBQ stuff that is :-D

Good Luck.

TIM

I think you need to consider two things:

1. Are you willing to stay up all night and feed a stick burner.

2. Can you afford a trailer to get the cooker back and forth to a competition every time.

A Backwoods Party like suggested above is only 130 lbs and can fit in a Mini Van easily. It can smoke all of your entries for long periods of time without tending allowing you to get a good night sleep. There are dealers in New Hampshire and New York State. The choice is ultimately yours.

Back