THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cornemuse

I found this site while looking for info to make an offset smoker.

Someone here had/has a tiny mini one, I think. (I cannot find the link-made from 'firemans' tank?)

Found this site: "My Mini Reverse Flow Smoker" but pics not displaying, , , , not sure if this is it.

Anyway,I dont want to make one too small, though it'll be just for myself.

First (for now) question:

I've noticed the fireboxs are attached directly to the smokers, can one have a short pipe, (or whatever, square-rectangle-etc) between firebox & smoker?

[4"±, between the two] [I have my reasons!]

Making it from 2 propane tanks, both old & heavy Manchester tanks made in USA, and really heavy (manufactured in early 1970's for motorhomes?)

Anyway, glad to be here.

-corne-

You could have a transfer Tube but it size needs to be equal or greater than the hole should be. May need dual 4" tubes or dual 6" or a single 10" or ? Airflow n draft are Most important.

You could have a transfer Tube but it size needs to be equal or greater than the hole should be. May need dual 4" tubes or dual 6" or a single 10" or ? Airflow n draft are Most important.

Like in² area (or more) of smokestack/chimney? Makes sense, , ,

Jez askin' before I start cuttin', , ,

Thanks, -c-

Last edited:
You don't know it but you may have stumbled into the bbq version of the Library of Alexandria. Just about any question you might ask- someone here (maybe lots of somebodies) will have your answer. There are other sites who "do bbq"- but nothing like this place. Finest folk in the world- bar none.

Good luck on your offset build. Hit us with more details if you would- whether you need help or not. A "build" thread is always welcome around here.

I think Smitty was referring to the "throat size" (the suggested size of the opening between the firebox and the cooking chamber of a more conventional offset where the 2 are touching- no separated by a transfer tube)

The ratios of intake size, firebox size, cooking chamber size, throat and exhaust dia/length can be determined by use of one of the calculators- like Feldons. Widely available- Google them. (there are some that may pooh pooh the results of said calculator- but it is useful in getting you a starting point)

I think Smitty was referring to the "throat size" (the suggested size of the opening between the firebox and the cooking chamber of a more conventional offset where the 2 are touching- no separated by a transfer tube)

The ratios of intake size, firebox size, cooking chamber size, throat and exhaust dia/length can be determined by use of one of the calculators- like Feldons. Widely available- Google them. (there are some that may pooh pooh the results of said calculator- but it is useful in getting you a starting point)

^^^^This^^^^^ Plus Look at Google Images and get Ideas.......

Back