THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
I bought a 4 pound chicken and cut it into pieces. I used the backbone and the giblets to make chicken soup. The rest of it was "fried" in my smoker.
This is a great way to cook "fried" chicken if you want to reduce your fat intake. It's crispy and delicious. In fact, if I didn't tell you, you would never know the chicken was cooked in a smoker rather than a deep fryer.

First, I brined the chicken for three hours in a mixture of:

1 gallon of water
3/4 cup of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 TBS of Black Pepper
2 TBS Ground Celery Seed
1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

I didn't need the whole gallon of brine, but I made a whole gallon never the less.

picture.php

After the brine, I dried the chicken pieces with paper towels and let them sit while I fired up my smoker. I used regular K charcoal with nothing added for smoke. I made sure the fire was burning clean.

picture.php

Once my smoker was up to 350F, I made up a flour and seasoning mixture of:

1 1/2 cups of Wondra flour (Basically bread flour, this is a key ingredient)
1 cup Panko Bread crumbs
2 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Sea Salt
1 TBS Granulated Garlic
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

I mixed all of the dry ingredients in a zip lock bag.
I made an egg wash using only the egg whites of 3 eggs and about 1/4 cup of water.

I dipped the chicken pieces in the egg wash and then put them one at a time in the zip lock bag and shook it until each piece was well coated with flour. I shook off the excess and set the chicken aside to rest for about 3 minutes maximum.

I then gave the chicken a light spray of Pam spray vegetable oil and put it in the smoker.

Here is an in progress pic.

picture.php

I let the chicken cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I checked the internal temp and it was at about 180F minimum in each piece.

picture.php

The chicken was very crispy and flavorful. Also, while it was well done, some of it was a little pink on the inside but that is just what happens when you cook chicken in a smoker.

I will post more info on my blog tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you for the pictures and recipe.
Doing baked chicken for our lil community park I am always looking for different ideas.
Sad part is we get so busy there is no way I could pull of this feat!
Thanks again, will have to give this a whirl at home for sure.

Thank you for the pictures and recipe.
Doing baked chicken for our lil community park I am always looking for different ideas.
Sad part is we get so busy there is no way I could pull of this feat!
Thanks again, will have to give this a whirl at home for sure.

Thanks, bro!

BTW, you can skip the brine part and still have some good chicken that's a lot more healthy than real fried chicken.

Just remember the key parts are the bread flour and the egg white wash.

Thanks, bro!

BTW, you can skip the brine part and still have some good chicken that's a lot more healthy than real fried chicken.

Just remember the key parts are the bread flour and the egg white wash.

Looks and sounds great! Wonder if they make a gluten free flour sub. that would work? The wife loves chicken, but she can't eat anything with gluten.

Looks and sounds great! Wonder if they make a gluten free flour sub. that would work? The wife loves chicken, but she can't eat anything with gluten.

Try some GF corn flake crumbs instead of the flour. Just sprinkle the seasoning directly on the chicken and put a little in the egg wash too. Dip the chicken in the egg wash and then apply the GF CFs. It will be very good and crispy too.

picture.php

Back