THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is YOUR Favorite Smoker Design?

• Total voters
I chose "Other" for your poll, because I love my Lang, which is technically an offset, but it is also "reverse flow," which makes it a whole new animal. In my mind, there are two smoker designs that border on perfection in there own catagories, and that is vertical smoker (WSM, Stumps, Spicewine, FE, etc...), and the reverse flow offset (Lang, Meadow Creek, Ortone, Stumps offset, etc...).

With that said, there are as many opinions about smoker design as there are ash-holes. These are my favorite designs because of their efficiency. However, there are those that don't agree with me, which is fine because I don't agree with them! ;)

As for the drum smokers, I don't know how to catergorize this type, as they are technically vertical smokers, but they are direct. They do not have the water pan baffle like the other verts. I like them for the simplicity of construction, and the low cost. This would appeal to me if I were having to build my own smoker.

I voted 'other' because I really like my WSM right now. I guess it's the same basic design as the ECB or UDS, but different enough, IMO. That being said, I'm pretty keen to build a UDS, and am always up for collecting more cookers.

The offset is all I know so I choose that. I'm very comfortable with an offset pit but I can tell you it's not for everyone. It's alot of work to keep a big offset clean and rust free and it also makes quite a mess when loaded up with meat.

Now then I had a good look at Dustaway's Spicewine last weekend and that is a super smoker. Very well made with an excellent fit and finish. The convenience of an cabinet smoker that can use a charcoal chute or a charcoal basket appeals to me when I'm wanting some sleep or I'm busy around the house but I still like all the fuss of the offset.

Looks like its gonna take about 1 more day before we can prep for paint.
It sure does take a while. It'll all be worth it in the end. I Hope!

Cheers Dan

Be careful of a flat top. In some smokers(but not all), condensation will drip that nasty creasote water onto your meat. I think that the reason so many smokers have a domed lid is to direct any condensation down the sides. It is a whole lot easier to make a flat lid than a domed lid...

I built a square smoker and have never had that problem. I also have never heard anyone with a Bandera (which has a flat top) having any problems with soot dripping. I think it has more to do with air flow than condensation.

I call it "other" :)
I'm more of a "do it your self'r" than a "purchaser" right now.

"Box Smokers"

Your reference to a box smoker is too generic. Are you referring to something shaped like a box, or did you mean a vertical smoker? I think that you are referring to vertical. That said, There are three of them out there that seem to gather the most attention and all three of them are different. So.....not to change your thread, I would suggest you go through the archives and do your research there.

So I don't know the "Scientific Names" of all the smokers. I'm just trying to get a general idea for my own build. I think some call it a Bandera? or something? If you ask me, it looks like a box. Google "box smokers" and look at the images. That is what I'm referring to.
I'll get more specific if more people vote for, or mention them. Right now, offsets seem to be winning.

I built a square smoker and have never had that problem. I also have never heard anyone with a Bandera (which has a flat top) having any problems with soot dripping. I think it has more to do with air flow than condensation.
My BSKD will drip when it is colder than 60 degrees out. Once the smoker comes to temp, it is not so much of a problem, but the colder it is, the more condensation. Like I said, not all smokers are apt to do this. I suspect that the Spicewines or Stumps don't do this as much because of the insulation.

1st Design

Those Spicewines are nice!
- Fully Insulated (up to 1200 degrees) Double Wall Construction
- Extra Large Multi Rack Cooking Area
- Large Water Pan with Drain
- Easy Clean Out Ash Pan
- Easy Side Adjustable Shelving
- Pop-out Cooking Racks for Easy Cleaning
- Fully Adjustable Damper Vents
- Your Choice of Colors
- Heavy Duty Casters
- Spring Loaded Heat-Proof Door Handles

BUT, you gotta have 1 - 2 grand or don't even ask! That is in another "league". I'm new to smoking & I'm on a budget & trying to find a water pan for my ECB for cheaper than $13 so I can finish mod'n it out.

I've designed an offset using 55 gallon drums. This one should be pretty cheap to build. It is a rough draft & I have a lot of questions, but here is the first design.

Give me your thoughts in comparison to your favorite.

You will have a hard time with the build if the 13$ rack is spendy. Our smokers are almost done and the door handles alone were $ 75.00
Smokers Aren't Cheap.
But what HOBBY is.

Cheers Dan

The $13 Water Pan is pricey because it is an ECB. I can get a new ECB for $30 so why buy a water pan for 13? I guess it is the replacement vs new cost.

The New Cost of a GREAT offset is 500 - 1000. I figure I can build the above smoker for about $150 - $200 and I get to say "I built this." To me that is pretty fair.
What do you think about the design?

Thought about using a old type wood stove and mounting a horizontal drum type cook chamber (think chargriller) Are you listening Mista ? And connecting them with a short section of 6" pipe. Then you could burn wood and control the fire.
Like this but stove underneath
smoker6.jpg

Harborfreight is always having these on sale and you can get 15%coupons if you get the mailer.
32058.jpg

But now I have this
Spice.jpg

:biggrin:

I like the "Big Smokey" double barrel smoker, but I'd rather have a vertical smoker more like a Bandera made out of a barrel. I think I could hold more meat and monitor temps better. What do you think?

Honestly, If a person is going for the Bandera type, I would go with the BSKD (Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe). Its already to go and will deliver years of great Q. If you were going to make it out of 1/4 inch. Then you would save money by making it yourself. In Arizona, do you NEED 1/4 inch, Probably not. In Minnesota, a cabinet that is insulated is the choice I made. Otherwise the weather will decide how constant your temps will be.

Just My Opinion Dan

Back