Smoker Builders Manufacturing?

Connor_Macleod

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Connor
Happy Friday, y'all! I'm a new member here in the midst of a search for a new and better patio/back yard smoker. I'm not a restaurant owner or caterer.

I'm looking at vertical or horizontal offset stick burner style smokers with a budget in the up to $5k range, and the nearest builder to my location in the St. Louis metro area appears to be a place in Rolla, MO, called Smoker Builder Manufacturing (I'm not affiliated with these guys)

Https://www.smokerbuildermfg.com

From their website and forum, it looks like these guys put some thought and science into design for proper air flow - they have a calculator for estimating firebox/cooker/stack volumes for example. Also, I like the way their smokers take the stack off the middle of the cook chamber instead of the top and have a wide transition piece into the stack.

Do you guys have any experience with this maker or their products? Any advice about whether this would be a maker to put on my short list?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I have never heard of them, but that doesn’t mean much:). Are you looking for a reverse flow or traditional flow cooker? That will get you narrowed down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If its smokerbuilder im thinking of they have good following on youtube/IG and have great reviews. Search youtube and you will find some info on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome and replies!

@gtsum: My main criteria is relatively even temps across the cooking area, which had me initially thinking reverse flow. But I'm not really decided on that yet. The Smoker Builder Mfg guy was suggesting a hybrid model they offer with stacks on both ends and plates you can configure for reverse flow or traditional.

@Back9Q: That's the same one on Youtube; they have a lot of how-to videos about pit building techniques.

@SmittyJonz: Lone Star Grillz is the main other option I was considering. I like their 24" x 48" Offset Smoker and their 30" Offset Vertical Smoker. Do you have any opinions on either of these.

I was also considering the Pitmaker Hitman 24"x48"...Seems like there are lots of good options out there...it might come down to who has the shortest wait time.

Thanks for the welcome and replies!

@SmittyJonz: Lone Star Grillz is the main other option I was considering. I like their 24" x 48" Offset Smoker and their 30" Offset Vertical Smoker. Do you have any opinions on either of these.

I was also considering the Pitmaker Hitman 24"x48"...Seems like there are lots of good options out there...it might come down to who has the shortest wait time.

Paging Sako/ SSV3........... above my pay grade.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199899

Lots of great builders out there. If even temps and traditional flow are important, I love my workhorse 1975. I do like the pitmaker cookers also, but you rarely see them talked about here for some reason. LSG’s don’t do it for me as I’m not a fan of tuning plates on their 24’s and the firebox is quite small on the 20 series.

If after even temps look at workhorse and outlaw. Those seem to be really popular right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a 250 gallon reverse flow using their plans. They answered every question I had and the pit cooks lights out.

...LSG’s don’t do it for me as I’m not a fan of tuning plates on their 24’s and the firebox is quite small on the 20 series.

About the tuning plates on the LSG's, could you explain further about your dislike for them, e.g., the tuning plates are not effective at evening out temperatures, they mess up the flow, etc.? Thanks!

I went Workhorse but if you have 5k to spend, I would consider reaching out to Austin Smoke Works and then looking at Moberg/Mill Scale.

I went Workhorse but if you have 5k to spend, I would consider reaching out to Austin Smoke Works and then looking at Moberg/Mill Scale.

I agree. I checked a few weeks ago and Moberg wasn't building backyard smokers due to steel prices, not sure if that's changed recently though.

About the tuning plates on the LSG's, could you explain further about your dislike for them, e.g., the tuning plates are not effective at evening out temperatures, they mess up the flow, etc.? Thanks!

Well I didn’t want to have to mess with them and clean them. I figured a well designed offset should cook relatively evenly and my workhorse does just that without tuning plates. There is a ton of convection in my workhorse. Food cooks much quicker compared to any other cooker I’ve used or owned. I also really like the over sized round firebox too.

I figured a well designed offset should cook relatively evenly and my workhorse does just that without tuning plates. There is a ton of convection in my workhorse. Food cooks much quicker compared to any other cooker I’ve used or owned. I also really like the over sized round firebox too.

Man you are making the Workhorse sound sweet...

Back