Smoked Prime Rib Roast

Grand PooBah

which would you do the whole roast
or split it like I was thinking..
my thought on splitting the roast I
will have four ends for those who like
the ends..

If your not pressed for time, I would do it whole. the bigger the roast, the longer in the smoke..and the more flavorful. :eusa_clap

So... Whenever possible, I do it whole.. and if someone complains about the ends.. say you forgot...

then let the end lovers fight it out.
Its entertaining to watch. :twisted:

Hey Guy's and Gal's

I'm planning on smoking a prime rib
roast this weekend for the Wife's Bday.
I just picked up a whole boneless from
resturant depot.. my plan is to cut it in half
that way I get four ends.. my family loves
the ends.. My question is how long should I
expect it to take to reach 120?? I will smoke it
at 230-250deg with some maple wood.. MMM
I'm hungry already and I have to wait till
Saturday night after Peters Pond...

Thanx

IMG_0155a.jpg

That is the way I cook all of mine. I usually buy ones around 5 pounds and allow 25 to 30 minutes per pound. But don't trust the clock. Stick it with a cable thermometer and watch it closely, adjusting your pit temp as needed to match your sit-down time.

My reasoning:

1. You are already starting out with a decent piece of meat, and don't need the long cook time time break down and tenderize.

2. Cooking at a higher temp you can achieve the well done meat and bark on the outside while at the same time maintaining the middle at rare or medium, whereas a lower temperature will result in more evenly cooked meat from outside to inside. It gives you a broader range of tastes and textures within the same piece of meat.

3. You still get great smokey flavor.

4. You don't have to wait as long to sink your teeth into a true delight! :biggrin:

2007-04-22PrimeRib5.jpg

Tim, I see where you are comming from, but from the other point of view...

1. You are right about not needing to cook it tender, In fact all you really need to do is warm it up until the center is to target temp, so when you
barbecue one all you are really doing is bringing it up slowly to 120* - 125*.

2. For those that don't want those "zones", barbecuing will prevent the more done outer ring and make the doneness very even across the cross section. As far as bark goes, the low cook temps allow the natural protiens to rise to the surface slowly, and I think this makes for a better Maillard reaction. If you do want to end sear it after a brief rest, you will get a very tasty bark because of these developed protiens.

7a551d14.jpg

3. I think the longer time in the smoke, the more flavor. I usually get a little smoke ring too.

IMG_0155a2.jpg

4. I'm not in a hurry for anything else, why hurry a prime rib along? :biggrin:

So... I'm a rookie

I'm doing two decent sized Prime Ribs on my smoker for xmas dinner. Pressure is on.... I have to nail it.

do i put them on smoker without the ribs?
do I keep them on the grill without ever wrapping them in foil like a brisket?

just rub them and put them on direct until it hits 120 ish internal temp?

If i'm doing two.... should I plan significantly longer per pound?

besides a kosher salt rub.... what's the best rub?

Thanks a million

So... I'm a rookie

I'm doing two decent sized Prime Ribs on my smoker for xmas dinner. Pressure is on.... I have to nail it.

do i put them on smoker without the ribs?
do I keep them on the grill without ever wrapping them in foil like a brisket?

just rub them and put them on direct until it hits 120 ish internal temp?

If i'm doing two.... should I plan significantly longer per pound?

besides a kosher salt rub.... what's the best rub?

Thanks a million

I would cut along the bones to separate them from the roast, just barely leaving them attached at the bottom, then tie it back together using butchers twine. This will allow you to get some rub on the bone side of the roast, and make the bones easily detached when you're ready to carve.

Cooking with the rib bones attached will make for a more flavorful roast, and I like to use the bone side as a diffuser on my drum.

No need to foil.. Two roasts shouldn't take significantly longer than one.. The internal temp is whatever your preference is.. I like to pull mine off to rest at 130.. I use Montreal Steak Seasoning for prime rib.

I would cut along the bones to separate them from the roast, just barely leaving them attached at the bottom, then tie it back together using butchers twine. This will allow you to get some rub on the bone side of the roast, and make the bones easily detached when you're ready to carve.

Cooking with the rib bones attached will make for a more flavorful roast, and I like to use the bone side as a diffuser on my drum.

No need to foil.. Two roasts shouldn't take significantly longer than one.. The internal temp is whatever your preference is.. I like to pull mine off to rest at 130.. I use Montreal Steak Seasoning for prime rib.

:thumb: This is how I do them as well

My reasoning:

1. You are already starting out with a decent piece of meat, and don't need the long cook time time break down and tenderize.

2. Cooking at a higher temp you can achieve the well done meat and bark on the outside while at the same time maintaining the middle at rare or medium, whereas a lower temperature will result in more evenly cooked meat from outside to inside. It gives you a broader range of tastes and textures within the same piece of meat.

3. You still get great smokey flavor.

4. You don't have to wait as long to sink your teeth into a true delight! :biggrin:

2007-04-22PrimeRib5.jpg
What a super picture! That is BEEF!

Back