Smoked or grilled fondue?

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Ok folks, here's my problem.....
Wifey and I have been invited to an annual New Years Eve "food party". Each year the food has some sort of theme that must be adhered to. This is year it's fondue. The participants know my history with the type of food I bring and are all curious what I can pull out of a hat for "smoked/grilled fondue".

The biggest hurdle, is that I work that day and don't even get home until the time the party starts, so I'll already be late to the event. So whatever I bring needs to be prepped and cooked the day before (Sunday).

My only idea is this: Extra small meatballs (think: fatties, but rolled up into little balls, then covered in pretzel dough with a hot cheese for the fondue.
To be honest, I'm looking for something easier to do, that will also reheat well.
Ideas please?

Scandinavian/Swedish meatballs with the usual gravy, and cold-smoked cheese fondue? Jarslberg or Fontina or something like that should go very well with the gravy.

That combo would give you a holiday/winter theme, stick with the party theme, and maintain your rep!

Bob, I do a pepper gravy fondue with a variety of dipping items.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2018/02/pepper-gravy-fonduethis-was-insanely.html

Biscuits, sausages, meatballs, bacon wrapped meatballs, mushrooms, boneless beef ribs, tatoes, etc..

X1FSh4O.jpg

Boneless beef rib n gravy...

VVjx5mn.jpg

Biscuit n gravy...

A0BjaWG.jpg

Friends love it!

Just another idea.

I've never cold smoked cheese (or anything else), but I like that idea.

And then along comes a HOME RUN from Jeanie.
All that can be cooked the day before, with the possible exception of the bread,
but wifey can do that pretty easily for me.
HHmm... Gunna be hard to beat that one.
THANKS JEANIE! :grin:

BAGNA CAUDA! Nuff sed.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18684&highlight=Bagna+cauda

Only meant to eat once a year. It's takes that long to erase it from your arteries, but is some damn good chit! Smoke or grill the garlic heads offset on the grill. It will add tons of flavor.

I add a tin of smoked oysters instead of the anchovy paste. But, you may not want too in case someone has an allergy to that stuff.

Maybe some pre smoked moinks or something. Or use smoked cheese along with it.

Bob

Last edited:
Bagna Cauda? Wow! Never heard of it, but now must have it.

If you are good with all those ingredients.....ESPECIALLY the garlic, do it. The recipe seems like a mess of typos and overkill......but it's NOT! First time I made it, my dad thought it was soup and served himself a BOWL! With some bread! All pores and orifices will exude a garlicky aroma for at least a day after....maybe two.

Bob

BAGNA CAUDA! Nuff sed.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18684&highlight=Bagna+cauda

Only meant to eat once a year. It's takes that long to erase it from your arteries, but is some damn good chit! Smoke or grill the garlic heads offset on the grill. It will add tons of flavor.

I add a tin of smoked oysters instead of the anchovy paste. But, you may not want too in case someone has an allergy to that stuff.

Maybe some pre smoked moinks or something. Or use smoked cheese along with it.

Bob

I have done this, because of that very thread.
It is beyond words

Well, regretfully.... I neglected to take a photo of the spread.
Mine was organized on a (warmed) very large cast iron skillet, with a small cast iron gravy pot in the middle.
I wanted it to look as close to Jeanies as possible.
Here's what I made:

- Biscuit "bites" (Paula Deans recipe)
- Beef sausage "bites" browned on cast iron in butter
- Pork Tenderloin (smoked)
- Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin (smoked)
- Bacon wrapped pork sausage (kinda like a MOINK)
- Skillet fried potato bites

It was definitely a 'hit', and everything rewarmed well.
Unfortunately, this is the first time it occurred to me to take a photo. :tsk: :mmph: :cry: :wacko:
Everyone, THANK YOU for the ideas.
Jeanie, I own you a hug for this one. Spectacular! :becky: :clap2:

49380220_458974051301717_582921774686011392_n.jpg

Well, regretfully.... I neglected to take a photo of the spread.
Mine was organized on a (warmed) very large cast iron skillet, with a small cast iron gravy pot in the middle.
I wanted it to look as close to Jeanies as possible.
Here's what I made:

- Biscuit "bites" (Paula Deans recipe)
- Beef sausage "bites" browned on cast iron in butter
- Pork Tenderloin (smoked)
- Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin (smoked)
- Bacon wrapped pork sausage (kinda like a MOINK)
- Skillet fried potato bites

It was definitely a 'hit', and everything rewarmed well.
Unfortunately, this is the first time it occurred to me to take a photo. :tsk: :mmph: :cry: :wacko:
Everyone, THANK YOU for the ideas.
Jeanie, I own you a hug for this one. Spectacular! :becky: :clap2:

49380220_458974051301717_582921774686011392_n.jpg

Glad to hear it worked out well for you Bob! Your's sounds delicious!!
Hope 2019 treats you well! :grin:

Back