THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

Cutem all Jack

I'm working outta town and I brought my UDS to cook for the guys. I have a jamacan with me who wants me to smoke a goat quarter. I've never ate goat or cooked it. Can anyone give me some pointers? I brought some limited spices with me Lemon pepper, season salt, black pepper, all spice and some garlic salt. Shoot me some ideas. Thanks.

I would ask the Jamaican guy to season it up for ya since he may know what spices and such would give you the flavor profile he's looking for. I know you'll need some allspice.
btw goat is the bomb.

He don't know how to cook. I was thinking about putting some allspice, Montreal steak seasoning and some garlic salt. But doe's it need some kind of oil or nutter injected to keep it from drying out?

I did one last summer... We got a kid goat, and quartered it. I smoked it exactly like the pork shoulders, same rubs, etc. We then pulled it all and served it on fresh pitas. I almost vomited when I tasted it, but the people I cooked it for (a party) RAVED about it. I also never did get that smell out of my smoker.. its SUPER gamey.
282117_1465010241217_1712341951_706540_4136930_n.jpg

Cabrito! BBQ'd goat. Much loved Mexican fare. Check the web for recipes - Mexican & Jamaican.

We raised goats when I was kid. If they are kept up and fed nothing but corn and sweet feed for about a month, they will not be gamey. Moral of the story, if you want to eat a goat, buy a live one, keep it in a small pen and feed it yourself for about a month before eating it.

My experience may be different, but the only gamey goat I have had was an old one. Young goats taste milder than beef ( I think). I'm not sure how it would do smoked, since goat doesn't have the kind of self-basting marbling or fat that beef and pork do. i have always grilled it, usually high heat in the tandoor. And its been kick a$$ every time!

I agree, goats shouldn't be too gamey if they are younger, also if it is a male needs to be castrated well ahead of time. One of my buddies has a little bit of land where we live and he raised a few goats. We slaughtered on a few months back and it was very tasty, very slight gamey taste. We cooked different parts at different times, and different ways. I actually grilled one of the hind legs a little, then wrapped it in foil for a while then grilled a little more. I was able to shred it and eat it just like that. As for the spices, I would guess it is whatever you like. The steak seasoning sounds good with your additions.

Good luck, make sure to take some pics...

raw_leg.jpg

before_wrap.jpg

Back