THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
Last year after researching smoked pepper salt recipes I came up with my own that works better than any others I tried. I add dehydrated ghost peppers to the mix and is it ever good. It's got enough heat that it doesn't take much to spice up a dish and add too much salt. It brings an awesome smoke flavor to gumbo and soups but I've used it in everything.

Here's my video if interested, it's a short 3 minute, straight to the point video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j17Pbqm0sbw

The ingredients are easy, kosher salt, water and peppers.
1 cup of water
2 tbs of dehydrated ghost pepper flakes
4 cups of kosher salt

Blend it up.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-15h50m58s508.png

Spread it as thin as possible on parchment paper.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-15h51m13s911.png

I smoked it on the CH5 for 8 hours total, stir after 3 hours then every hour after that.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-15h52m08s408.png

Scrap it off and blitz again to break up the chunks.
Vlcsnap-2020-10-29-14h53m46s422.png

Thanks for looking!!

First, this looks awesome and I appreciate the tutorial on the method. I wouldn’t have thought to add the water but it makes sense.

Additionally. SirPorkalot/Naturiffic has a product called Hot Salt. Fantastic stuff and I use it on anything. Like cut a tomato and eat the slices with Hot Salt. He uses smoked Serranos and another variety I believe.

Pretty cool.

That's fantastic! My son decided he wanted to grow some Carolina Reapers, which we did. Now we have a bunch of 'em dehydrated. I like hot food - even really hot food as long as there's other flavor involved - but I'm not into "eat it on a dare" type of hot. This looks like a good way to put some of 'em to use - thanks for posting!

Very similar to how I do my smoked Habenero salt.

I don't grind my peppers until after all the water is gone and the smoke is plenty.

Back