Smoked Cuban Pulled Pork

King

Full Fledged Farker
Here is a copy and paste job from my blog, Major League Grilling. I love it when ideas turn out better than according to plan. This is one of those rare instancess...

The other day I was watching some MVF on the DVR. This episode was in Miami and they were serving up some wicked Cuban sandwiches. It was really easy to make, but the pork is what made the sandwich. They showed how they roasted a pork shoulder by first marinating in mojo sauce (pronounced: mo-ho).

I had Cuban sandwiches on my mind from then on, I took the pork shoulder out of the freezer to start defrosting it. Now all I need is a recipe for the mojo sauce. So, I get on the interwebs to search this mojo sauce, which calls for bitter oranges (never heard of them).

Not knowing what to do about the mojo, a miracle happened. As luck would have it, my wife bought a mojo marinade at the market last week…it’s on like Donkey Kong!
528-e1314111104880.jpg

The Prep
Before I started anything, I had an idea for what I wanted to do on my next pork shoulder. The pulled pork I’ve done in the past have been ok, but not outstanding. After reading Adam Perry Lang’s book, he gave me a great idea to inject marinades into roasts. Therefore, I’m going to inject the mojo directly into the meat.

The first task was to filter out the large particles of herbs and spices in the pre-made marinade. So, I use my fine mesh strainer with a spoon to do this. When I pour the marinade through the metal mesh strainer, I stir it around with the spoon and into a bowl which results in a homogeneous consistency.
485-e1314110607186.jpg

Before injection, I make sure to place the pork shoulder in a foil pan. Next, I take the syringe, fill it up with mojo and start injecting into the meat.
515-e1314110673102.jpg

I’m going Chris Lilly crazy with the injection, hitting it from all sides of the 6lb piece of pork. When I’m done injecting, I cover with foil and place it in the fridge.
507-e1314110725812.jpg

The amount of time in the fridge is up to you, I suggest at least over night, however, I marinated this bad boy for about 36 hours.
517-e1314110816936.jpg

The Rub
545-e1314110981620.jpg

I didn’t measure out the quantities for this, but I was going for equal parts of the following items:

• Coarse Black Pepper
  • Sea Salt
  • Ground Oregano
  • Minced Dried Onion
546-e1314111035554.jpg

*Set the minced garlic aside for now.

The Instructions

1. Prepare the smoker for 225 degrees.
  2. Take pork shoulder out of the fridge and uncover. Drain any liquid out of the pan.
  3. Rub the minced garlic all over the shoulder and in the folds of the meat.
  4. Mix all rub ingredients together and spread it evenly all over the shoulder. Make sure to get those folds and creases in between.
  5. Place the pork butt on the smoker. I used apple wood for smoke and I placed a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the shoulder.
  6. Cook until it reaches 195 degrees internal temperature.
549-e1314111185397.jpg
Steps 3 & 4

556-e1314111316599.jpg
Step 5 - Cuban pork on the right

For 9 hours, the Cuban pork roasted on the smoker. I didn’t even peak under the lid once. When the desired internal temp was achieved, the first sight of it looked like this.
562-e1314111388551.jpg

The aroma was extremely pleasant and the juices were seeping out of the succulent pork. I take the roast off the smoker to let it rest under a foil tent until it’s cool enough to handle, in about an hour.

Afterwards, I took the shoulder blade out of the meat. It pulls cleanly from the tender pork with no resistance.
586-e1314111456671.jpg

Instead of pulling the pork by hand, I used a tip from the GrillinFools. I placed the roast in an extra large storage bag, sealed only ¾ of the way to let air escape. Then, I take my large and heavy cast iron skillet and beat the crap out of the pork. The juices splatter inside the storage bag and the pork is smashed into chunks of tasty treats.

I reached in the storage bag to take a sample and it just melted in my mouth. The pork was juicy with a citrus/earthy/fresh flavor.
622-e1314111523788.jpg

I finally get to assemble my Cuban sandwich:

• Hoagie roll
  • Cuban pork
  • Sliced ham
  • Mustard sauce…I blended regular mustard, mayo, cilantro and a lime.
  • Pickles
  • Swiss cheese
  • Butter
Slice the hoagie (long ways) in half and stuff it with everything except the butter. Melt the butter down and spread it on the outside of the roll. Again, I used the cast iron skillet to flatten the sandwich on the grill, turn over and repeat until it’s crispy.
617-e1314111574997.jpg

Oh yeah! This sandwich was everything I was craving…crispy, tender and lots of flavor! Serve it up with some rice and beans and I feel like I’m in Cuba…where’s my cigar?
616-e1314111641709.jpg

Thnx JoeSmoker,

I'm definitely a new fan...however, it ain't the same at some chain restaurant. 54th Street Grill makes a Cuban which is dry and tasteless. My co-workers found out the hard way.

There used to be a place here in Atlanta called the Havana Sandwich Shop and that is where I learned all about it. At lunch the line would stretch out the door and around the side of the shop.

Sadly, it burned down a while back and was never rebuilt.

DAMN YOU!:mad: Now I will have to go out there and make one. :oops:

That looked so good, I want it now. Thanks for the post.

That looks great...... I use the World Harbor Mar. too ...... Really like them when I can't make my own up :-D

DAMN YOU!:mad: Now I will have to go out there and make one. :oops:

That looked so good, I want it now. Thanks for the post.

Sucks to be you! LOL :becky:

I didn't even mention that my sliced ham came from a 17lb whole cured ham for .99/lb at the grocery store. Took me about an hour to cut it all on the deli slicer. Enough to make many more of these crispy treats.

That looks great...... I use the World Harbor Mar. too ...... Really like them when I can't make my own up :-D

I still can't find bitter oranges in STL, but I found the juice in a bottle at the Mexican grocery store.

I don't care if it's pre-made or fresh, as long as it tastes good. Some folks swear by doing everything from scratch, I usually hear complaints from them.

Yep I told you I would have to do one, and I am. I could not find any premade mojo around, so I made up my own, or I should say I went online and found a good one. Found this one at http://icuban.com/food/mojo.html

INGREDIENTS:
3 heads garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 cups sour orange juice
(In a pinch, use two parts orange to one part lemon and one part lime)
1 cup minced onion
2 teaspoons oregano
1 cup Spanish olive oil
The mojo with oil marinade is best for chicken, duck, fish, and so on. The oil prevents the meat from losing fat and moisture.
Mash garlic, salt, and peppercorns into a paste, using a mortar and pestle. Stir in sour orange juice, onion, and oregano. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or longer.

In a saucepan, heat olive oil to medium hot (approximately 220 degrees F) and remove from heat. Carefully whisk in the garlic-orange juice mixture (prepared above) until well blended.

For the rub I used. http://www.chow.com/recipes/11111-mojo-marinated-pork-cubano-lechon-asado

For the spice rub:
2 tablespoons whole cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole coriander
2 tablespoons dried chile molido
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
For the spice rub:
In a dry sauté pan, toast cumin, peppercorns, and coriander over medium heat for a few minutes until spices just start to smoke. Remove spices immediately from the pan.
Grind smoked spices in a spice or coffee grinder. Mix together with remaining ingredients (except pork).

I have everything made, now I am just waiting for the mojo to cool then I am injecting it. Thanks again for the idea.:thumb:

Man i would love to have some of that
Going to have to do this also
Thanks for sharing

I placed the roast in an extra large storage bag, sealed only ¾ of the way to let air escape. Then, I take my large and heavy cast iron skillet and beat the crap out of the pork.

Thank you for not posting a picture of you beating your meat :shocked:

The pork and the sandwich look great! Thanks for the recipe and pictorial.

I still can't find bitter oranges in STL, but I found the juice in a bottle at the Mexican grocery store.

I don't care if it's pre-made or fresh, as long as it tastes good. Some folks swear by doing everything from scratch, I usually hear complaints from them.

You can use a mix of orange juice and lime juice usually a 2 part orange juice to 1 part lime juice in place of the sour orange juice.

I had a Cuban Abuela (Grandmother) show me how to make Cuban roast pork and she used orange, lime, and grapefruit juice in her Mojo marinade along with a lot of garlic, oregano, and crushed red peppers.

The roast pork was delicious and that is the only way I make it to this day.

Thank you for not posting a picture of you beating your meat :shocked:

The pork and the sandwich look great! Thanks for the recipe and pictorial.

I have lots of pics of beating my meat and pulling pork if you would like to see them.

If you're lucky, you may even get to see my chorizo too! :becky:

Back