THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke & Beers

is Blowin Smoke!
So last weekend we had a meat sale at a local grocer and I picked up a 19 lb choice shoulder clod....and I made the mistake of smoking it like a brisket instead of cooking it to medium rare....
IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

Was so frustrated that I didn't get any pics of the finished product...
What to do with all that pulled beef?

Make Chili...amoung other things..

And what's better than Chili??

Chili Balls...inspired by the Chili-On-A-Stick thread I read on here some time ago...

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

These are AWESOME...think Hushpuppie stuffed with Chili...

For the Chili...I just used what sounded good...
Here's the cornbread batter recipe I used:
2 cups Cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup water (+ or - for thickness)
1 egg
Mix all dry components then add buttermilk & water then beat in the egg.

I used ice cube trays the first go around and filled them up with chili (sprayed with PAM first) but the batter was done way before the chili was thawed...so I made another batch filling the ice cube holes up only 2/3's full instead of completely full...this worked out great...

I prepped 64 tonight to take to our tailgate party tomorrow....
Thanks to all of you who contributed to the Chili-on-a-stick thread!

Hmmmmm........................;}-

Ya know S&B,I thought I had a grip on tomorrow's party for the God-son. Then Trish walks in and sees this Chili Ball thingy and NOW she wants to do some of them for tomorrow too!:confused:
Thanks;but they do look good.......:redface:
Post my endeavor :rolleyes:
Happy Smokes
Stan aka old school

Great looking chili balls. Excellent idea! Now you got me doing a search for the chili on a stick thread.

I've tried this and had trouble with the batter breaking apart then having a mess of chili in oil. Your batter must have been much thicker than mine.

Yours look great!! I may try again with your batter recipe

The exact reason I'm joining this site! Those look amazing. That is a must try! ASAP

JA

Good God

I blame you people for the 20+ lbs me and my family have put on since being on this site. I hope your happy (cause we sure the hell are). On my way to the store to get what I need to make these. Maybe wrap them in bacon and go into cardiac arrest.

Back