Smoked Chicken Wings

I brine for 3 or 4 hours, lay out on cookie sheets & add rub then let air dry in the fridge for an hour or 2. then shake in a closed container with melted butter to coat. Then right on the traeger 275-325° 1/2 hour ea. side. Remove n eat or add sauce if you like. They never last long. Theres usually a crowd around the grill waiting for them to come off & devouring them immediately.

No brine here; I rub 'em and place on wire or perforated racks at 220° or so for about an hour total. I flip once if the bottoms get darker than the tops.

I smoke indirect on the kettle with hickory or mesquite then reverse sear once they're almost cooked through for that crispy skin. Rubbed with yardbird rub its awesome! Then tossed in Frank's Hot Wing Sauce

I did some wings this weekend. Dry rub and smoked with some apple wood. I followed with a sauce of a combo of Franks and the Rooster. Did a quick crisping on the grill. They turned out great. My sister-in-law wants me to make 15 lbs. for a party in two weeks.

I grew up in Buffalo, so the only way I know how to eat wings is fried, dropped in a hot sauce and melted butter mixture and served with a side of blue cheese.

Here's some I smoked on Saturday. I rubbed these with dry rub, smoked for about 1.5 hours then tossed in warmed bbq sauce with a little butter.

CIMG1835.jpg

I brine, smoke & grill my wings. It takes some time but it is certainly worth it. First, brine 4 lbs of wings in salt & sugar water for 30 minutes. While the wings are brining soak a handful of mequite chips and start a half a chimney-starter-worth of charcoal. Drain, rinse and pat dry the wings, put them in one layer on a foil- or plastic-covered cookie sheet and hit them with some fresh-ground black pepper on both sides. Then put them in the fridge to allow them to dry some more. Set up the Weber kettle for indirect grilling (coals all to one side, not split between two sides). All the wings will just fit, skin side up, on the half of the grate opposite the coals. Then throw the mesquite chips on the coals, cover the grill and smoke the wings for 30-45 minutes. Next, remove the lid and in 2 or 3 batches grill the wings over the coals until crispy, turning often. Be careful as the skin side will burn quickly if left over the coals too long. I used to make various different sauces to shake the wings in but then realized the wings are incredibly tasty straight off the grill with no help from sauces. I sometimes dip them in blue cheese dressing. My wife & kids rave about them and these wings are a command performance at our swim & racquet club's parties.

Wow Texas Pete, that is exactly how I do mine too. I keep half with just the rub, and the other half with rub and sauce. Getting that skin nice and crispy is essential!

Love them smoked and the grilled, but *really* love them smoked and then fried. Fry them skins to a crisp and then go to town with my garlic buffalo and my insane hot sprinklins. They are sitting in buttermilk right now...will take them out soon (and i mean really soon as it is getting late and I have a pastrami to put on early) to air dry in the fridge. Wings are the perfect food!

Bringing back a thread from the dead! Tis a good one though.

I have one of those wing hanger deals that SWMBO got for me, works pretty nice, only a dozen at a time though. I grill mine using that with a low sugar rub, very light smoke. When cooked I then toss em in Texas Pete Wing sauce that has been simmered for a 15 with um, I dunno. Maybe three good heaping tablespoons of fresh minced garlic and a small pat of butter. I like my sauce to have a ton of garlic flavor. When you dip them the garlic bits go along for the ride, pretty nice.

The best I have ever made or have eaten are brined, rubbed/marinade, smoked, fried, and then sauced. It takes FOREVER but is worth every minute. First I brine the wings overnight in water, brown sugar, sea salt. The next morning, I remove from the brine and liberally apply rub to them and stick them back into the fridge for another 24 hours. When they have soaked up all those flavors they go onto the smoker at 190-210 degrees for about 3 hours. It is almost a cold smoke, but not quiet. They cook a bit, but do not get done and a lot of the fat is rendered out. I take them off the smoker and then they go into peanut oil at 375F for about 4 minutes until they are done and very crispy. The last step is saucing. For the sauce I use a combination of one medium bottle of Frank’s hot sauce that I put into the food processor with a can of chipotle peppers, the oil/sauce that is in the can, and about 4-6 cloves of garlic and then warmed all this with a stick of unsalted butter. Went through 150 these babies last Superbowl.

I smoke wings all the time, I usually rub them with my favorite rub and let them rest in the frig for a couple of hours, onto the smoker at 275 - 300 for 1.5 to 2 hours and them into a bowl with Franks and a little bit of honey, cover them and let them sit for 15 minutes and then serve, they really are good and the skin is crisp not soft.

First Post!!

I did smoked wings this Sunday. Brined them in typical poultry brine for about 5 hours. Injected a mix of Franks Hot Sauce, butter, garlic powder and brown sugar. light coating of Wegamns Basting Oil, and then liberal does of my fav bbq chipotle rub. Smoked at 200-220 for about 2 hours, first half hour a hand full of cherry chips, then after that a hand full of apple chips. After 2 hours, mopped on some spicey bbq sauce and cranked the heat up to about 300 for about 35 min and got them crispy. Must say the whole family was amazed at how good they came out!

I smoked my first wings this weekend using the orange marmalade, srirachi sauce, honey, and brown sugar recipe that people here have raved about. They were right! The wings were awesome. The only problem was that there weren't enough to go around.

My friend from Buffalo also did his version of wings at the same and they were also awesome. His recipe was Frank's sauce, brown sugar, a little butter, and grated cheese. They were excellent!

We smoked the wings on the WSM at about 300 degrees until they were a light golden brown. We then dipped the wings in the sauces and smoked them for 10 more minutes. We dipped them one more time and smoked them for 10 more minutes.

If you guys haven't tried Nando's Peri-Peri sauce on wings, you're missing something great!

And for you folkls who can't find the Peri Peri sauce on your local grocer's shelves, here's a good recipe to use as a substitute.

Piri Piri Sauce from About.com
  • 2 T. red hot chile paste or 10 red hot chiles, such as Thai
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 T. finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 T. chopped parsley
  • 5 chopped garlic cloves
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 cup olive or peanut oil
If you are using fresh red chiles -- it is important that they be red, for the proper color of piri piri -- chop them roughly. If you really want to make this authentic, find yourself the tiny "bird's eye" chiles, which are appallingly hot. Any hot chile will do, though.
Throw everything into a food processor except the oil. Buzz on high until smooth.
Once the sauce begins to get smooth, drizzle in the oil slowly while the machine is running. Once it is all incorporated, put the sauce in a glass jar and let stand at room temperature for up to a day.
For longer storage, seal in a jar and keep in the fridge up to a month.

I love grilled wings boy there good.. but i also will put them in my WSM with no water pan in the smoker and that works well also... I like toss them in some oil then but a nice spicy rub on them let them sit in fridge over night than rub again before you cook and enjoy... BBQ UP

Never thought of smoking the little guys. I always throw them on the grill with a dusting of salt/pepper and when finished I toss them with Wing Time Super Hot sauce.

I brine with a basic kosher salt and brown sugar brine, then smoke for 90-120 minutes at 240-250. We eat 'em plain, dipped in various BBQ sauces, or tossed with my Buffalo sauce of Frank's, butter, and a little Dijon. The skin is crisp, and you can't beat the smokey flavor.

I buy the premade hot wings that all you do is either microwave or toss in oven for 20min or whatever BUT I thaw them then marinate them overnight or whatever in Plain ol Ranch Dressing. Then Smoke them at atleast 250 275 for about 45min to an hour. In the middle of cooking them you can hit them with either more wing sauce or rub or even both. Frickin quick and delicious. Nothin crazy or hard that takes 2 days of prep. Prep time has been killing me lately so Im trying simplified ways to cut that down.

Back