Smoked brisket help

lubby

Found some matches.
Hi, I am new to the forum and live in NY on Long Island. I am also new to smoking meats. I recently smoked an 8 pound pork butt on my Weber grill with smoking attachment. Thanks to Google I was able to make a delicious pork butt. That being said I want to smoke a brisket. I used apple wood for the pork and it was great. What wood can I use for the brisket and does anyone have a rub that they like to use?? I have done low and slow brisket in my oven and that was great too but I want to try something different. How many hours depends on how many pounds the brisket is right??? Thanks guys. I am glad I found this site. BTW I am female and I love to grill.

It's a weber E470 grill that has a smoker attachment. I don't own just a smoker but I wish I did. Maybe someday. I just paid off this grill last week LOL. I used apple wood for the pork. I made this on Sunday. I kind of make my own rub of Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika and chili powder when I do ribs so I think it might work well on brisket.

How many hours depends on how many pounds the brisket is right???

WRONG!!!! Tough cuts of meat need the connective tissue broken down. To do this you bring the meat up to temp and hold it there (or keep heating) until it gets tender. A smaller piece will come up to temp quicker but the time it takes to tenderize has little to do with weight or volume so there is no reliable linear relationship.

Brisket is super simple to cook if you don't distract yourself. The goal is to heat it and keep it hot until tender. All you need to do is keep it hot until it pokes and probes tender. Simple huh? Keep your timers and thermometers in the drawer because I have yet to find one that reads in levels of tender.

As for rubs, Franklin only uses salt and black pepper. I might add garlic or a few other things, but in general, keep it simple, keep the sugar down and it should be good. Once you master figuring out when it is "probe tender" and "meat jello" to know when to take it off, you can then start tweaking rubs and techniques to get that last bit of improvement, but most briskets are made or lost by when they are removed from the heat.

Back