Smoked andouille sausage and chicken gumbo - A step by step Pron guide

Absolutley Wonderful. Thanks for the info :thumb: I have a Gumbo recipe, which includes sea food, wife won't eat it :mad:. So, with this it's chicken and smoked sausage. I do use the File Gumbo at the end to thicken. Your Roux is different style than mine. will have to try yours, looks much better and a whole lot more fun.

question on the file powder. I have some, but never have used it. does it add a detectable or strong "sassafras" flavor to the food???? I keep thinking root beer flavored gumbo for some reason. Sorry for the dumb question.

Hey Saiko, that's some good looking grub! :thumb:

Slobbered all over my keyboard reading through the step by step. (We need a drooling Smiley Icon!)

While I appreciate your homemade Cajun spice mix I was wondering what quantity yours makes and if you have any comments on using Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning or Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.

Since you said you were going for and easier and faster method thought I'd see if you had tried these and what you thought and how much to use if you use them.

I'm definitely going to be making up a pot in the next week or two.

Blessings,

This is a great tutorial & thanks for bringing this thread back around. I gotta hankering for some gumbo & will (hopefully) be whooping some up Tuesday or Wednesday.

While I appreciate your homemade Cajun spice mix I was wondering what quantity yours makes and if you have any comments on using Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning or Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.

Since you said you were going for and easier and faster method thought I'd see if you had tried these and what you thought and how much to use if you use them.

The cajun spice mix I use is taken from Paul Prudhhomme's recipe for blackened red fish. I haven't tried any commercial cajun spice mixes, but I am sure they will work just fine. I think the total quantity is 3 TBSP plus 1 1/2 tsp total if my calculation is correct.

Y'all can all thank me later (actually y'all probably done thanked Saiko on page 1) for bringing up Saiko's gumbo recipe. It's been rainy and cool here in north Texas and i reckon it's time to whoop up a li'l gumbo.

Still working on getting that roux just right. Definitely an art.

Big fan of "Slap yo Mama" that stuff has some good kick & flavor. I have gotten a couple of people hooked on that stuff.

Looks & sounds great! Being a northerner, I have only had gumbo a couple of times from a friends wife that had some decent skill when it came to southern cooking & I enjoyed it.

I followed this pretty closely last night - and WOW was it good! Great advice on the cajun napalm technique - and yes indeed it gets interesting quickly when you toss the trinity into the pool of roux. This recipe is a keeper - thanks for the great tutorial!

I followed this pretty closely last night - and WOW was it good! Great advice on the cajun napalm technique - and yes indeed it gets interesting quickly when you toss the trinity into the pool of roux. This recipe is a keeper - thanks for the great tutorial!

Glad you liked it! Gumbo is one of my favorite meals to make, mainly due to the "excitment" factor when making a high heat roux. And the danger!

It's been a few weeks since I made this as close as I could to your recipe. I have a week long snowmobiling trip coming up in 2 weeks, and as 1/2 of the designated camp cooks, I'm making the executive decision to make this for my 9 sledneck buddies. In preparation for the trip, yesterday I smoked a 10 lb. Pork shoulder and a couple of roaster chickens... and didn't even take any to Superbowl party! Pulled the pork and yardbird after resting in a cooler until after the game. Pork is awesome, chicken very juicy and tasty but is little lacking in smoke for my taste. I discarded the skin (rubbery slimy) after being foiled. Tonight I vacuum packed it all and into the freezer it went until the big trip. I'm thinking I will hit the chicken with a little of your cajun spice before putting into the gumbo. Gotta score some good andouille prior to the trip also. Cannot wait to cook this again for what is always a very enthusiastic audience. Every year I try to change it up a bit, and this is gonna be a hit. I'll post pics. Cheers!

As I chimed in a while back, here is my second shot at your amazing Gumbo. I had to feed 10 hungry guys, so I bulked up the recipe and it came out great again! Everyone loved it, and there wasn't much left. I've never posted a pic when using tapatalk, so hopefully it comes through

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329881681.660583.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329881681.660583.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329881982.031996.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329881982.031996.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 78
I'm planning on making some homemade smoked andouille soon w/ a friend. Now I know what I'll be using them for!

Thanks for sharing!

Well, having made myself some andouille sausage yesterday, and being on the hunt for a recipe to use it in, before the ravening hordes eat it all straightup, this recipe is the winner winner chicken.. and andouille .. dinner. Now to find okra in this godforsaken backwater. :)

Back