THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mbalmer

Knows what a fatty is.
I made a post about a year ago in regards to this issue. https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263725

In December 2018 we purchased a Green Mountain Jim Bowie for our home (Rec Tec is at our cabin). Rec Tec was a gift from my wife in December of 2017. I have taken some pics to show what the difference is between the two regarding smoke production. This IS NOT a scientific study, rather it is me just trying to make my Rec Tec produce as much smoke as my Green Mountain does.

As you can see in the Rec Tec pics I am running at 180 degrees, extreme smoke setting on, inside a large garage they I closed up just to run this test without any effects of wind. Does this look like normal smoke production that I should have with a 680? I was burning Cooking Pellets when I did the test for the Rec Tec. I have also tried to mess with internal settings to change rate of flow of pellets, etc. etc. I was given some advice from a dude at Rec Tec and I did what he said. There was no change.

I have sent my Rec Tec pictures to Rec Tec in emails over the last several months for help and have called them twice. They don't honestly seem to be to concerned about it, so maybe I'm just crazy??? That's what I need you all to tell me.

The Green Mountain pic is just a random pic I pulled off my cell. I'm sure I was using Green Mountain pellets or Lumberjack pellets but can't be sure on which one.

Would really like some suggestions for more smoke. Also, I have used the Amazing Tube thing in my Rec Tec but never in my Green Mountain. Green Mountain doesn't require one, in my opinion.

Attachments

• Rec Tec Grill 1.jpg
    Rec Tec Grill 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Green Mountain.jpg
    Green Mountain.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 157
I made a post about a year ago in regards to this issue. https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263725

In December 2018 we purchased a Green Mountain Jim Bowie for our home (Rec Tec is at our cabin). Rec Tec was a gift from my wife in December of 2017. I have taken some pics to show what the difference is between the two regarding smoke production. This IS NOT a scientific study, rather it is me just trying to make my Rec Tec produce as much smoke as my Green Mountain does.

As you can see in the Rec Tec pics I am running at 180 degrees, extreme smoke setting on, inside a large garage they I closed up just to run this test without any effects of wind. Does this look like normal smoke production that I should have with a 680? I was burning Cooking Pellets when I did the test for the Rec Tec. I have also tried to mess with internal settings to change rate of flow of pellets, etc. etc. I was given some advice from a dude at Rec Tec and I did what he said. There was no change.

I have sent my Rec Tec pictures to Rec Tec in emails over the last several months for help and have called them twice. They don't honestly seem to be to concerned about it, so maybe I'm just crazy??? That's what I need you all to tell me.

The Green Mountain pic is just a random pic I pulled off my cell. I'm sure I was using Green Mountain pellets or Lumberjack pellets but can't be sure on which one.

Would really like some suggestions for more smoke. Also, I have used the Amazing Tube thing in my Rec Tec but never in my Green Mountain. Green Mountain doesn't require one, in my opinion.

Interesting. I’ve seen vids online of the 680 smoking and there seems to be plenty of smoke coming out. Seems to be something going on with yours.

Me too. I swear something has to be wrong with mine, otherwise they would have terrible reviews all over the internet. I'm lost at this point.

I had the Rec-Tec 2500 (BFG) for about 2 months and outside of start-up there was never any real smoke smell / mist that could be seen. There was a very light smoke flavor on the meat, but it was extremely subtle.

There has been some really good discussion about pellet cookers and smoke in some other threads, and one of the key points was the fan system and how well it oxygenates the fire. With an extremely aggressive fan, like you'll see in the Rec-Tec, the pellets are instantly ignited and therefore you're going to get very little smoke...visually or in flavor.

Mine started acting strange and had some serious temperature control issues, so I sent it back. Truth be told the convenience factor allowed me to overlook the lack of flavor from the smoke...I'm much happier back on my stickburner.

Pellet tubes helped a bit but the aggressive fan system actually tended to re-ignite the pellets after I had blown them out, and often within 20 minutes the tube had burned through all of its pellets. For me it just didn't do what I wanted it to do, so I moved on.

I had the Rec-Tec 2500 (BFG) for about 2 months and outside of start-up there was never any real smoke smell / mist that could be seen. There was a very light smoke flavor on the meat, but it was extremely subtle.

There has been some really good discussion about pellet cookers and smoke in some other threads, and one of the key points was the fan system and how well it oxygenates the fire. With an extremely aggressive fan, like you'll see in the Rec-Tec, the pellets are instantly ignited and therefore you're going to get very little smoke...visually or in flavor.

Mine started acting strange and had some serious temperature control issues, so I sent it back. Truth be told the convenience factor allowed me to overlook the lack of flavor from the smoke...I'm much happier back on my stickburner.

Pellet tubes helped a bit but the aggressive fan system actually tended to re-ignite the pellets after I had blown them out, and often within 20 minutes the tube had burned through all of its pellets. For me it just didn't do what I wanted it to do, so I moved on.

Yeah the fan system makes a big difference. Mine runs at 60% speed at 245 deg and under and the smoke production is great. On smoke setting it’s very hard to stand next to it lol.

Yeah the fan system makes a big difference. Mine runs at 60% speed at 245 deg and under and the smoke production is great. On smoke setting it’s very hard to stand next to it lol.

Do you have a Rec Tec? I wonder if the fan setting can be changed. Worth a shot.

Ok. I think I might pull off the fan and break off a few of the "fins" to blow less air. At this point I don't use the darn thing anyway so worst case scenario is I pay for another fan. If i did that and it only blew 50% of the air, in theory, do you think that will work?

Ok. I think I might pull off the fan and break off a few of the "fins" to blow less air. At this point I don't use the darn thing anyway so worst case scenario is I pay for another fan. If i did that and it only blew 50% of the air, in theory, do you think that will work?

Well then you lose your high temp capabilities. And that’s the best case scenario. I wouldn’t do it

I would just use something to cover like half the intake before I went breaking ****, but thats just me.

Ok so I had the first Rec-Tec, and I can tell you it produced a lot more smoke. I mean hell on start up it looked like a car back fired my whole side yard was a cloud.

Ok so I had the first Rec-Tec, and I can tell you it produced a lot more smoke. I mean hell on start up it looked like a car back fired my whole side yard was a cloud.

Yes. I'd like to hear from more Rec Tec owners. Hate that she spent 1100 on the thing 18 months ago and I borderline hate it at this point. Also frustrating that I have to jump threw hoops and scenarios to get a smoker to actually have smoke.

It's really comes down to taste (Stick burning)' or convenience, less smoke flavor & problems (Poopers) imho

I agree. My problem is taste, for sure but it should be fixable. My Green Mountain smokes some delicious meat. My Rec Tec should too. Smoked chicken legs on my G.M. is something I cant get enough of and is so easy to make.

Edit. My point to this isn't to compare taste of pellet to charcoal (which I much prefer and cook more with while at cabin and R.T. sits unused or to a stick burner) it is to see if my R.T. is producing sufficient smoke compared to other R.T.s owned by folks here.

Last edited:
I have an RT-700, the newer version of the RT-680. Some material changes were introduced in this model, mostly relating to the brain of the unit. But, otherwise it is a similar product to the RT-680. My wife bought it for me as a gift in January, and I absolutely love it. With regard to smoke production, I can't compare it to other pellet grills, as the RT-700 is the only pellet grill I've ever used. I knew, from prior research, that pellet grills have a reputation for not putting out as much smoke as stick burners. But, I'm a novice and don't have the time or interest in babysitting a fire for 12-14 hours when I'm trying to smoke a brisket or pork shoulder. So, I was willing to forgo some of the smokiness in return for the convenience. Having said all of that, while I don't see a billow of smoke constantly emitting from the chimney, I do get pretty good smoky flavor, and I also get a pretty good smoke ring from the RT-700.

I recently received, as a Father's Day gift from my children, a Kamado Joe Classic II. Kamado grills are charcoal burners, but when you drop a few chunks of hard wood or fruit wood into the burning coals, it puts out a ton of smoke. I have yet to try a long smoke on it, but it seems capable of keeping a pretty steady temp, so I may attempt one during the next holiday weekend.

I'm sorry I can't offer any solutions, but I hope you get some help from Rec Tec on this issue. My experience with the company hasn't involved any major customer service issues like yours, but the minor issue that I had to get their help on (related to a shipping snafu) was quickly resolved. Not sure if your issue will be as straightforward to correct, but I would give them another shot at it before you give up on the RT-680. I know it's a frustrating process, but I just love my RT-700, and I hope you can find a way to resolve your unit's shortcoming, so that you too will be able to experience the fun of using your Rec Tec pellet smoker. Good luck my friend.

I hope I get it figured out too. My R.T. is so much better built then the G.M. It is heavier, bigger hopper, better wheels, better grates etc. It is a superior grill but not when cooking on, at this moment. Was really in hopes there would be a R.T. rep active on here or a forum expert with R.T. grills.

I'm not sure if you want to put anymore money into the Rec-Tec, but I've seen this particular heat diffuser recommended quite a few times on this forum. It replaces your current heat diffuser and allows you to place some wood chunks (or maybe even some small sticks) inside the diffuser. You run the smoker like normal (with pellets) but that pellet fire is catching those wood chunks on fire, so you're getting a few hours of good, solid smoke.

Maybe check it out and see if it would help you hate your grill less.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

Rec-Tec also has a very long warranty, so if you're just sick and tired of the thing, give them a call and tell them you want to return it. Worst case scenario they tell you to pound sand, but best case scenario they give you a complete refund and you can go out and buy something which would work out better for you.

BBQ for most of us is a relaxing, enjoyable time and there's nothing that ruins that time easier than dealing with a frustrating cooker. I only had mine for about 2 months before it was apparent that it just wasn't going to work the way it should. I gave them a call, told them I was done with the cooker, and they gave me a complete refund.

Good luck!

Back