THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How important is the flavored smoke from certain woods like cherry, apple, pecan, hic

• very important (gotta have it or you'll lose)

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • kinda important (would like to have it but forgot to bring it)

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • not important (I just use oak)

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I could really give a rats $*#!

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
(plus it seems that polls are popular these last few days).

How important is the flavored smoke from certain woods like cherry, apple, pecan, hickory....etc compared to say just oak in bbq'd meats?

After cooking 3 - 18 hrs on non~pellet set it~n~forget it~type cookers (Ie...I'm not in the smoke a lot), I really can't tell you if it matters or not. I can't smell/taste chit! If I'm cookin' for a crowd, I eat at the end of the day because I got the munchies and need to eat so I can survive the rest of the eve. Contests? I got no farkin' idea. Stay tuned....

Pee Ess...I can certainly tell the diff when Cherry and/or Hickory is used. The others (that I've tried) not much difference...

Ever hear the old joke about the man in a bar who could smell a piece of wood while blindfolded and tell what it was? :twisted:

Ever hear the old joke about the man in a bar who could smell a piece of wood while blindfolded and tell what it was? :twisted:
No, tell it.
36_11_6.gif

I agree with Countryhb. Oak definately adds a flavor to the que although very subtle. Apple doesn't add alot more flavor than Oak. Both are very mild woods. I prefer mild woods because it is very easy to oversmoke your food especially when using a stick burner. Now that I have retired the Lang and use a vertical (Spicewine) I routinely add oak and apple for their flavors.

Couldn't agree more, being that I use wood not only to flavor, but as my sole fuel source we have to be very carefull not to oversmoke our meats. When in doubt.....Cherry...Cherry...Cherry.....Cherry....Cherry, Oh by the way, did I mention I like Cherry????:biggrin:

Back