THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Inspired by martyleach's WGA pizza mod and lacking Marty's building skills, I decided to try a "pizza mod for dummies" on my WGA.

My goal was to make it easy to build, easy to remove, and try to keep the cost reasonable.

Here's what I came up with:

IMG_2820.jpg

The 1/4" hex nuts are a snug fit between the bars on the WGA cooking grate so the set up is really pretty stable.

While the baking stones were heating up over some briquettes, I started prepping pizzas (about 8" diameter). Just some simple pepperoni & mushroom pies:

IMG_2833.jpg

Checked the temp of the stones and found about a 200 degree difference in my stones with the bottom hotter than the top:

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

In my initial tests I found I needed a little more heat up top and could do with a little less on the bottom so I swap the stones right before putting the pizza on:

IMG_2836.jpg

5-6 minutes in I rotate the pizza to account for any hot spots. Another 5-6 minutes and the pizza is done:

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

I made 5 pizzas total. Here's another one:

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

Once I was done cooking, I pulled out the raised CI grid and the stones to cool (yes, my stones look pretty ugly).

IMG_2846.jpg

30 minutes later they were cool enough to hold with my hands:

IMG_2848.jpg

I did this on my WGA but the approach should work fine on a Smokey Joe with some kind of raised round grid.

The cost for this mod was cheap for me (just the stainless hardware) as I already had the pizza stones and cast iron grid.

If I had to build this set up from scratch:

- 8 1/2" diameter baking stones from Amazon (Old Stone Oven 4444 Pizza for Two 8 1/2 Inch) - $27.79 (qualifies for free Super Saver shipping)
- cast iron grid from chargriller - $7.99 (not sure about shipping cost)
- SS Hex Nuts 1/4" - 20 size, qty 12 - $3.54 (from Home Depot)
- SS Washers 1/4", qty 12 - $2.36 (from HD)
- SS Machine Screws 1/4" - 20 x 3", qty 4, - $2.36 (from HD)

$44.04 before tax or any shipping charges. A pizza peel and pizza screens are very helpful as well but I don't really count them as part of the mod.

Last edited:
Clever mod and beautiful ZA! I have been forum searching and mulling over all of the Weber pizza options....trying to figure out what rout I am going to try. I just ordered the Red Sky stone. I am loving your results though!

Nicely done. The setup and the pies. I love pizza and have been wanting to do something like this myself for quite a while. Thanks for sharing!

Very clever solution John. That is just way too easy for me. If I can't cut it or weld it I'm not doin' it....
Really nice looking pies~!

Back