Slow N Sear XL or Plus?

Whisky

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a 22 and 26" kettle. Does the Plus (22" model) work OK in the 26" or is the XL that much better for the bigger kettle? I suspect now that I got the 26 kettle the 22 will hardly get used, and maybe even sold.

My one thought however is with the smaller Slow N Sear in the 26 kettle, it will give me more indirect space on the grate which would be good for a lot of my low and slow cooks.

What say you? Thanks

My understanding is that the smaller version will work in the 26". The benefit of the larger version is for more direct sear area.

Again, my understanding, I don't own one. Yet.

I have a 22 and a 26 and have the entry-level Slow-n-Sear.

I've used the standard SnS in the 26 on a few occasions and it worked perfectly well. As mentioned above, the XL creates a bigger sear zone and it holds more charcoal (and water) for a longer low/slow before needing to add coals. The trade-off is that it comes at the expense of some valuable grate space. Also, the Plus holds a standard-chimney of coals. For 2-zone, the XL needs more than 1 chimney (I don't know how much more). I got the 26 (last spring) for its added capacity and have needed every bit of that capacity even for some weeknight dinners for 4 where all 3 food items are cooked in the kettle simultaneously. For that reason I am leery of the XL - when I'm using the 26 it's usually because I am cooking a lot of food at once and space is at a premium.

PS - I wouldn't be quick to unload your 22 (unless you need the patio space). Since acquiring the 26 I have still used my 22 more often as I like to use whichever kettle (and that includes my new Jumbo Joe) will be pushed to maximum capacity.

I have a 22 and a 26 and have the entry-level Slow-n-Sear.

I've used the standard SnS in the 26 on a few occasions and it worked perfectly well. As mentioned above, the XL creates a bigger sear zone and it holds more charcoal (and water) for a longer low/slow before needing to add coals. The trade-off is that it comes at the expense of some valuable grate space. Also, the Plus holds a standard-chimney of coals. For 2-zone, the XL needs more than 1 chimney (I don't know how much more). I got the 26 (last spring) for its added capacity and have needed every bit of that capacity even for some weeknight dinners for 4 where all 3 food items are cooked in the kettle simultaneously. For that reason I am leery of the XL - when I'm using the 26 it's usually because I am cooking a lot of food at once and space is at a premium.

PS - I wouldn't be quick to unload your 22 (unless you need the patio space). Since acquiring the 26 I have still used my 22 more often as I like to use whichever kettle (and that includes my new Jumbo Joe) will be pushed to maximum capacity.

Good info. Leaning towards the smaller one for my intended uses.

Back