Slow n Sear question

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Just got my slow n Sear in the mail today and cooked up some ribs. I got maybe 5+ hours of usable burn time out of it no where close to the 8-10 advertised. My chimney is a little on the smaller side which could be the reason. Should I be using a larger chimney to get closer to the longer burn time?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Fill the slow n sear with unlit coals, add some lit coals from the chimney on one end, let it do a slow burn across?

Fill the slow n sear with unlit coals, add some lit coals from the chimney on one end, let it do a slow burn across?
I did not do that I followed the slow n Sear directions 12 in the corner fully lit added coals

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I think you might have answered your own question.

"12 fully lit coals in a corner. Then add a full chimney of unlit briquets to fill the remainder of the charcoal basket"

if your chimney of unlit did not fill the basket...that would certainly give you reduced burn time.

you did not mention the weather - maybe your ambient temp hurt you too?

Try different brands of charcoal. In my Bronco I can get 12 hours with Weber briquettes (I bought about 30 bags when Home Depot put them on clearance). With some of the store brands I get as little as 6 hours. There was some charcoal Walmart had two years ago for July 4th in a red, white, and blue bags. They were about 6 or 7 dollars for a twin pack. They would barely go 4 hours.

I think you might have answered your own question.

"12 fully lit coals in a corner. Then add a full chimney of unlit briquets to fill the remainder of the charcoal basket"

if your chimney of unlit did not fill the basket...that would certainly give you reduced burn time.

you did not mention the weather - maybe your ambient temp hurt you too?

It was in the 30s

8-10 is far fetched. I've never gotten more than 6 hrs max with a fully loaded sns or the sns xl tightly packed and burning from one end. At the same time I don't really need more than 6 hours anyway with most of my cooks.

8-10 is far fetched. I've never gotten more than 6 hrs max with a fully loaded sns or the sns xl tightly packed and burning from one end. At the same time I don't really need more than 6 hours anyway with most of my cooks.

I figured as much i'll just reload coals on a long cook

I use the large chimney for the Slow-N-Sear. It will buy you more time, but I don’t think you would get 10 hours out of it.

I am a big fan of the Slow-N-Sear for things like thick steaks that require both a high heat to sear and a low heat to cook. But I found that the snake method is better for low and slow cooks.

To do low-and-slow with the Slow-N-Sear the bottom vent is almost closed and the top vent is partially closed as well. This low airflow caused a creosote buildup in my kettle that was starting to make the food slightly bitter. The buildup under the top vent made it difficult to adjust after a while.

The snake method is more fuel efficient and will usually get you in the proper pit temperature range with the vents wide open, which means you get good airflow, clean smoke, are not chasing temps, and are not getting creosote buildup in the kettle.

A two wide by two high row of charcoals will usually get you close to the proper smoking temp. If it is cold a third row of 1 wide will usually bring it in range. You just need to get it in the proper temperature range, it doesn’t have to be an exact number.

Last edited:
I’ve never that long either, though I’m usually using it when I want to cook at more like 275 which doesn’t help. I have one of the first generation ones and I think the second is a little larger but I still think 8-10 is a stretch.

Your burn time sounds about right to me (5 to 6hrs). I bought the SNS and have cooked several ribs with it so far. I've also cooked a brisket which definitely required adding more charcoal. Once it needs new charcoal I just push all remaining charcoal the left side, the add more. Btw, I normally fill the SNS up with charcoal, then just stick a weber cube or tumbleweed at the corner and light. Once 4 to 6 coals are ashy, I put the cover on and wait until I hit the desired temp. I know it's recommended to pour hot water in the tray, but I put cold water in as I figure it warms up in time for the cook.

Back