THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G

Gregg_BBQ

Anyone have any advice on smoking pastrami to get that perfect consistency to slice it very thin and stay together?

I love the taste of anything smoked, but I really don't want pulled pastrami :)

Thanks!!

i think u refrigerate it then slice it and then steam it, i believe that is how the delis do it
i could be wrong but everything im reading that seams to be what they r doing . and i think they carve it more of a rough cut than a thin slice.

The last time I made some, I took it off the smoker at about 165 internal, it was a good consistancy to slice paper-thin, and tasted great. I have tried cooking it to a higher temp before, and it wants to fall apart.

Made a bunch of it couple years ago and believe we also took it off at 165 and then let it cool before slicing, came out good.

2-3-13018aaa.jpg

Pastrami won't really pull (like fresh barbecued shoulder), but if you over finish it and get it too tender, even thick slices sort of crumble. This is not a bad thing if you are serving it as a main meat with cabbage and potatoes.... or using it in pastrami hash or something...

Like the others have said, for slicing.... smoke it to 165-170, finish it and chill it. Then it slices just the way you want it to. This is a pastramied round, chilled and sliced.

DSC07709a.jpg

Back