Skirt Steak Question

I think the skirt steak that’s available to me is not the greatest quality. As a result, regardless of hot and fast and slicing against the grain, it’s still a tough meat to chew. It’s good, but it taste lot of chewing. Marinating in lime juice too long also makes the meat a bit mushy.

Outside Skirt is harder to find (and better) - I discovered it at a local farmer’s market
I think both a really good when marinated properly

Glad I read this. I have been thinking about trying one. Maybe I won't, or at least try other cuts that I don't normally cook, first. I am glad to hear you say that it has a good flavor though.

At the Mexican grocery stores, the butcher will clean it up, butterfly it and run it through the tenderizer for you 2-3 times. Less pleasant to the eye, but more pleasant to eat.

Inside quirt is supposedly tougher than outside skirt. I have never seen outside skirt offered here locally.

Best when cooked cave man style directly on hot lump charcoal.

I ask because I don't know and looking for a definitive answer. So, what does cooking directly on the coals actually accomplish? Years ago, based on someone's recommendation, I tried it once with a rib eye steak and didn't see any difference other than having to wipe off the ash. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Robert

Not sure what I've found here over the years is inside or outside. All I know is it's one of my favorite cuts to grill. Hot & fast. One flip, no more than 3 minutes a side. Doesn't require marinating. SPOG works fine.

Rarely see it at meat counters anymore. I've theorized butchers take most of it home.

I ask because I don't know and looking for a definitive answer. So, what does cooking directly on the coals actually accomplish? Years ago, based on someone's recommendation, I tried it once with a rib eye steak and didn't see any difference other than having to wipe off the ash. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Robert

I don't know the science behind it but, here is my opinion...
With thin cuts, like a dry flatiron steak, the high temps directly on the lump
charcoal allow for a nice crust to form before over cooking the meat.
(Provided you're going for a med-rare center)
Also, since there is no air gap between the fire and the meat you shouldn't
get any flare-ups.
Notice I specified lump charcoal... NOT briquettes!
Any ash should be brushed away before placing any meat on the coals.

I have quite a bit experience cooking these. The best is outside...but very hard to source at local grocery stores...most dont know or say what they have..but they are inside. The inside skirts are wider and look more appealing...the outsides are narrow. When I get outside it is usualy from wildfork foods...and they use to be reasonably priced not so much any more. Local store has inside on sale a lot and thats what I get. I have found can be very good if done right.

First...give several whacks with a meat mallet...flat side. Then jaccard pretty good. Then marinate...need citrus in it to help tenderize...I like orange juice along with other spices etc. Needs about 5-6 hours no longer or they can get mushy. Grill hot and fast to mid rare...medium at most. Rest and then. slice against the grain fairly thin. makes an awesome taco/fajita. I am not afraid of inside anymore and have grown to like it if done this way.

I just took the advice of others and Jacarded the hell out of the skirt steak, and guess what…it turned out great! For the first time ever, we finished our SS meal and didn’t have to message our jaws. Thanks all. I’m finally going to get good use out of my jacard and enjoy SS.

In my area Flank and Skirt are the same overly price. I always get Flank if it goes on sale. ( rarely )

I much prefer Flap but i have to hunt it down, and its always cheaper too.

Back