THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
I like skirt steaks and over the weekend decided to see what a burger made of skirt steak would taste like. Of course I expected it to have roughly the same flavor. Unfortunately it was bland and made an average burger.

Any thoughts on why ground skirt steak would lose it's flavor?

I get that fat is flavor but, it was ground whole with fat on it. Why would the steak taste great grilled whole, but be somewhat tasteless ground?

I have found that skirt generally needs a marinade which not only tenderized it but also added flavor. I have never thought of grinding it. It is a very lean cut.

I have found that skirt generally needs a marinade which not only tenderized it but also added flavor. I have never thought of grinding it. It is a very lean cut.

Right on!!! skirt steak loves marinade that is why it is so good for fajitas, I marinate mine 24 to 36 hrs before I cook them.... then they are awesome, when they stand alone they are lacking

a lot of the gourmet blends that became the hot trend over the past few years in the big cities/high end restaurants are generally a blend of high quality (ex. prime, dry aged etc) chuck, brisket, short rib, and skirt steak...

I think the key is the right proportions to get best of both flavor & fat content

Last edited:
Back