THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you for the report and pics. Looks like a great day!!

I've been to Austin twice now in the last year. Once for vacay and once for work. Went to Louie Mueller, John Mueller, and La Barbecue the first time. Then La Barbecue, Kerlin's, plus went to this amazing event where Louie Mueller, Black's, Smitty's, and another I'm forgetting were all serving in a small setting (Wayne Mueller gave me this massively barky piece of brisket....I wanted to cry it was so good).

Haven't made it to Franklin yet. I've read his book and watched a boatload of videos. But first time I was with my wife who was NOT into the line, and the second time I was there for work and....um.....had to work :)

One of these days, though!

Thanks again for the report, and I am jealous yet happy you enjoyed.

She had the slaw and potato salad

My initial reaction was along these lines

nCKCsTN.jpg

But at the same time that's one heck of a woman to stand in that long line with you in the Texas summer heat, even though she wasn't going to partake in Franklin BBQ's meaty greatness. She's definitely a keeper!

The thing that impresses me the most about Franklin's is the consistency, his willingness to share his methods and the fact he builds his own stick burning smokers and actually uses them. I wish him, his family and employees many many years of success.

I haven't been but when it comes to chronic long lines for food, I am reminded of Hot Doug's in Chi (now closed). The dogs and fries at Hot Doug's were good, solid, but not great..

Hot Doug is like a bad rash. He just won't go away. Every few months he has some sort of pop up event. Was there once when the line wasn't that long. Like I said, I was there once. To many great encased meat joints in Chicago. His latest pop up sausagefest was cancelled because of not enough interest.

It's a memory that will not fade. I still remember tasting the brisket at Franklins and it's been a year.

If you are headed east, Killens Dino bones wI'll leave an indelible impression as well.

If you go to Lockhart, hit smittys, blacks and Kreuz. I did this with my mom and wife a few years back. We went to each place and ordered exactly the same thing at each place: brisket, ribs and sausage no sides. We had a great time and were able to compare and contrast. Everyone had different favs...do that for breakfast and then hit the game! Make sure your wife drives. You will be drunk off BBQ for sure!

Yea, that's it..........all hype. People have been standing in line at the place for years so they can get some "hype". I doubt he would still be in business if it was just hype.

Or could it be the brisket is really good and people know it when they taste it?

I have heard from many folks the sausage and ribs are just OK but the brisket is really on another level for sure.

You are cherry picking from my comment for a reaction, I never said hype. I would recommend that you reread my entire comment.

I would also like to add that Franklin's is more of a destination place for visiting people than locals, unless the local is taking their out of state friend who is requesting to go there. The whole experience of showing up early, waiting in line, drinking beer, catching up with old friends, and meeting new people from all over the world turn it into something special.

That's one of the reasons he has held back from doing more locations even though I'm sure he has potential investors chomping at the bit. You can duplicate prime brisket and a smoker anywhere, but you can't duplicate the experience of eating at his restaurant.

The people next to me ate at salt lick last night. They said it was ok, but disappointed in the brisket.

Same experience. I hit the Salt Lick last year and it was not even good. The sausage and chicken were tasty, but the brisket was bitter and dried out. Not a fan at all, inconsistent doneness and the burnt ends were not good either. Seems to be more of a tourist thing than it is good bbq these days. So many Texas friends from work wanted my opinion, I had to be nice and tell them is was pretty good, inside I was "get me out of here".

Well, just finished up at Smittys. Have to say, it was a huge letdown. My wife barely ate any of it. Food was tough, really tough. Brisket was cut weird and chewy, ribs had decent taste, but tough. Turkey was probably my favorite. Sausage was greasy and weird texture. On to the next stop.

Attachments

• 20160624_122836.jpg
    20160624_122836.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 264
I'm not throwing shade on Franklin's, I've just always thought the place was so popular because Austin has become a Mecca for hipsters and young well to do people; giving this place a huge online following that older bbq places dont have. It also helps that Franklin breaks the mold for pit masters (old guy, doesn't talk much, and won't give away his secrets) that we knew growing up.

As you all know, right place, right time, right approach will turn a good product into a legendary business.

Well he starts with primo Creekstone Farms Brisket . Not what you would see from your old timey curmudgeon pitmaster.. Just sayin :doh:

Well, just finished up at Smittys. Have to say, it was a huge letdown. My wife barely ate any of it. Food was tough, really tough. Brisket was cut weird and chewy, ribs had decent taste, but tough. Turkey was probably my favorite. Sausage was greasy and weird texture. On to the next stop.

I hate to say it but my experience stopping at Smitty's in april was the same. Black's FTMFW in that town.

Back