THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Here is an article from the news paper I thought you guys might like, I try to talk to John when ever I can he is my Blues Hog supplier :cool:

I hope to stop in and say HI to John if I can and wish him good luck, I wish anyone good luck that will be going it would be a dream to go and watch.

Let me know if any of you guys know any of them.

xxxxxxxx Story Below from the Sioux City Journal xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2005/10/18/news/local/781ab408623987658625709e0009007c.txt

Siouxlannd barbecue champs still pouring it out

By Alicia Ebaugh Journal staff writer

781ab408623987658625709e0009007c.jpg
pixel.gif
Jack Vogt shows off his sauce. He won second place in the sauce competition at the KC American Royal barbecue competition. (Staff photo by Jim Lee) Two teams of Siouxlanders have cooked up some of the best barbecue in the world, and they're still pouring it out.

Both teams competed at the 2005 American Royal Barbecue in Kansas City, Sept. 29 through Oct. 1.

The American Royal has been deemed one of the most prestigious barbecue competitions in the world.

aAds = new Array(); aAds[0] = new Array(); aAds[0][0] = 'news+local+middle1_tue.1'; aAds[0][1] = '16830'; aAds[0][2] = 'swf'; aAds[0][3] = '336'; aAds[0][4] = '280'; aAds[0][5] = 'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rudysalem.com%2F'; aAds[0][6] = 'news%2Blocal%2Bmiddle1_tue.1'; aAds[1] = new Array(); aAds[1][0] = 'news+local+middle1_tue.1'; aAds[1][1] = '25127'; aAds[1][2] = 'swf'; aAds[1][3] = '336'; aAds[1][4] = '280'; aAds[1][5] = 'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stlukes.org'; aAds[1][6] = 'news%2Blocal%2Bmiddle1_tue.1'; displayAd('http://adsys.townnews.com', 'siouxcityjournal.com', aAds); John Nilges of Dakota Dunes and Sioux Cityan Joe Sauce -- better known as the Parrothead Smokers at barbecue contests across the Midwest -- lapped up third place overall among 474 teams competing in the American Royal's open meat division.

They also won state barbecue championships in Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota and Kansas earlier this year, which entitled them to compete in the American Royal's invitational division. Nilges and Sauce garnered fourth place overall among 242 teams in that division.

As a reward, the pair brought home $5,600 cash and a handful of trophies and ribbons.

"Yeah, you could say we've had a pretty good year," Nilges joked.

In these contests, Nilges said, the pair grilled meats such as chicken and beef brisket and marinated them with their own blend of barbecue. They've been competing together for about three years, but it's all just for fun, Nilges said.

"It was just kind of a hobby that turned into an obsession," he said. "We're looking for the elusive 'best thing you've ever had.'"

Now Nilges said the two are readying themselves for the biggest challenge of their lives yet -- competing at the Jack Daniels World Championship Invitational Barbecue that will be held Saturday in Lynchburg, Tenn. The best barbecue teams from all over the world will be there, he said.

"There are so many people who want to compete that state champions' names had to be drawn out of a hat to participate," Nilges said.

The stakes? The Jack Daniels grand champions will win $2,500 and -- even better -- bragging rights to the best barbecue. Period.

Another Siouxland caterer simmered up second place among 104 competitors in the American Royal's amateur division for his barbecue sauce recipe, and he hopes the locals will love it as much as the Kansas City judges did.

Smoke'n Jack's BBQ catering owner Jack Vogt of Dakota Dunes said he is working on getting his winning original blend of sauce, as well as his hot blend, on retail and grocery store shelves within a month.

To be sold under the name "Smoke'n Jack's Pit BBQ," Vogt said his sauce has been reworked and refined over the last year.

"I've been barbecuing in my backyard for 20 years now, and I think my wife thought I was crazy before," he said. "But people are telling me this is good stuff."

Vogt brought home $400 and a trophy from the contest, and said he hopes to parlay this success into something bigger.

"I'd like to open a restaurant someday," he said.

Back