THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burnt to a T

Full Fledged Farker
Want to know what you guys use if multiple rubs or single rubs are used.

Doing 6-9# butts this weekend. Has anyone injected the Genie's elixir? Haven't seen any reviews on it.

Doing this for coworkers and I hate doing new things without input of others that have.

I also have Williams rib tickler cimarron docs slabs Kyle style plowboys yardbird and bovine bold to name a few plus the entire simply marvelous collection.

Going to use Blue hogs original Tennessee red and 50/50 mixture all on the side for people that want sauce.

Stating the obvious that it’s a matter of personal taste and preference, but I love their Spicy Apple rub on pork...it has become my go to for ribs and pork butts.

Red

Not sure if you have all of them but any combination or a singular coat of any of the following will be a homerun: Spicy Apple, Cherry, Geenies Hooch, Genies Trinity, Pecan, and Sweet Seduction.

My personal favorite is 2x Spicy Apple, 1x cherry, and 1x pecan.

His elixir phosphates are the same as all the rest, so if you like using those you should be good.

Good luck!

Yep. Spicy Apple is Killer.

Wish I still had some.

Honestly though... If you are cooking for people it's not a time to experiment. Do what you know will work and you won't have to apologise later when you screw it up.

That's why I'm asking here aka real world people have done. I was going to inject but never have so I will save that for the 4th of july crowd (just family).

I will do everything else the same other than the rub or rub combinations.

Not sure if you have all of them but any combination or a singular coat of any of the following will be a homerun: Spicy Apple, Cherry, Geenies Hooch, Genies Trinity, Pecan, and Sweet Seduction.

His elixir phosphates are the same as all the rest, so if you like using those you should be good.

Good luck!

I have them all. Do you do layers or mix it 2 to1 to1 and rub once? Do you dust it once it pulled to add some flavor?

When I do use the elixir what can I expect flavor wise?

Spicy Apple is great for pork, I use it regularly so I got the 5lb bag. For an injection try adding a tablespoon of the rub to two cups of apple juice, stir and/or heat until dissolved, then strain to remove big bits of spice so they don’t clog the injector.

Good luck!

Ha, just used this combo on the butt I did 2 weeks ago. Only i just grab the shakers and start dumping it on, not sure of the ratios.

I have them all. Do you do layers or mix it 2 to1 to1 and rub once? Do you dust it once it pulled to add some flavor?

When I do use the elixir what can I expect flavor wise?

I do it both ways. The particular combo I mentioned I actually mixed up in an old EAT bottle because I use it so much!

Do you get any pronounced flavors or does it just all balance each other out if you use multiple rubs?
How many of you guys foil vs not? How many inject hiw many add a little rub after you pull it. If I inject the elixir what will I get as far as flavor etc. Thanks to everyone that has responded so far.

Back