THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
Maybe a dumb question but here goes...

yesterday I used l some lump charcoal for the first time. (I am new to smoking and have only worked my way through a 20 lb bag of Weber briquettes so far) yesterday I smoked some ribs on my not quite complete uds using some lump charcoal and then shut down normally. This morning i planned to start work on finishing up the uds by adding some shelf brackets and wheels but when I went to take charcoal basket out I realized fire was not completely out. (it was out enough that the temp guage was not registering anything but a small pocket of embers were hanging on to life. ) When I was using the briquettes (4 or 5 cooks) it was always completely out when I went to check the next morning.

My UDS type smoker lid does not seal absolutely perfectly but I have not had this happen before. Does lump act differently compared to briquettes or did I maybe not have the lid positioned to seal as well as I have on my other cooks? the lump did have a fair bit of small bits in it so maybe that was part of the difference. just trying to figure this out. want to be sure I am not burning fuel up just for fun once I shut it down.

Thanks

The one thing with briquettes is they ash over which may help them go out a bit easier. Nevertheless, if it's still going the next morning you've got an air leak. If you are concerned about wasting fuel after shutting it down (like I am) I'd spend some time and/or a few bucks on getting a better seal for your lid. My lid has a gasket on it and I have the ring clamp that you can tighten down. The fire in it goes out like you'd poured water on it.

In my experience, lump takes about 1/2 the intake setting of the amount of intake to get the same temp using briquettes.
A small leak could snuff out briquettes. Not so much with lump.

Just finish your drum. Cook on it and it will/should seal up very well after a some cooks. Both the lid and exhaust.
All 4 of my smokers shut down (temp gauge reads outside temp)after 30 mins after cooking at smoking temps.
Around 50 mins after cooking at 700* on my smokers I do pizza's on.
With that said. To reach the 650* + temps. You can not maintain the higher temps with briquettes. Lump is a must. Lump burns hotter.

Back