Shrips On The Barbie...Recipes?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
I have some nice gulf shrips that I want to grill on bamboo skewers. I could put them on and turn them pink but is there a way to spice them up a tad? I can use to my go to Tony Chachere's but looking for a marinade or coating of some type.

Any suggestions appreciated.

k67emrwkvln81.jpg

Melt a stick of butter or more in a sauce pan with some minced garlic and Old Bay seasoning until just starting to bubble.

Let cool a bit then toss in your shelled "shrips" and roll them around till coated.

Use any remaining butter to baste after turning shrips over to cook the other side. Don't over cook.

Old Bay can add kick depending on how much you use, but if you really want to heat it up, add hot sauce to the above butter.

Never had a bad tasting shrimp that was cooked properly. I find I get the most compliments when I go subtle. 1/2 cup EVOO, 1/2 tsp each minced garlic, thyme and oregano to 2lbs shrimp. In a ziploc for a couple hours, then skewer or in a perforated pan or sheet over a hot grill and toss. They say it brings out the taste of the shrimp and is a nice change from the heavy seasoned stuff that may also be served from the grill. My humble $.02. Enjoy!

Never had a bad tasting shrimp that was cooked properly. I find I get the most compliments when I go subtle. 1/2 cup EVOO, 1/2 tsp each minced garlic, thyme and oregano to 2lbs shrimp. In a ziploc for a couple hours, then skewer or in a perforated pan or sheet over a hot grill and toss. They say it brings out the taste of the shrimp and is a nice change from the heavy seasoned stuff that may also be served from the grill. My humble $.02. Enjoy!

You're right Rob. Subtle is the way to go because shrimp flavor is subtle and you don't want to hide it.

I like gulf shrimp much more than "white" shrimp, which are farm raised fresh water shrimp from some place on the other side of the globe.

Gulf shrimp are saltwater wild shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico which have a stronger "shrimp" flavor but are a bit more expensive.

In my recipe above, I just use the Old Bay somewhat sparingly to add a hint of flavor along with a lemon slice served at the table along side. I do like scampi, hence the inclusion of garlic.

HOWEVER.....(disclaimer) I also like breaded and fried buffalo shrimp! Yay! Two different worlds, two different tastes. Use the cheaper white shrimp if your doing fried buffalo.

Pascal's Manale Cajun BBQ Shrimp

Original and knockoff recipes online

My version

Smoke two whole medium onions (cored with butter)
Smoke several cloves of garlic

Cast iron skillet over coals

Chop onion large, like onion rings large

Add garlic, onion rings and two sticks butter
Add Worcestershire to taste
Add, Tabasco, red pepper, black pepper, white pepper to taste
Add salt to taste
Add 1 cup chicken stock
Add 1 cup beer (wine works, I prefer beer)
When slow boiling and everything looks and tastes right add as many shrimp with shells in that will fit comfortably. More shrimp more better

Pour juices into small ramakens or community bowl.

Peel shrimps, wrap shrimp & onion in French or sourdough bread and dip in the juices

This can all be done outside over coals, in oven or stovetop.

Make as spicy or tame as you are comfortable with

Serve with Greek Salad with A couple anchovies on top.

Have wet towels during serve and finger bowls of warm water and lemon to clean the hands.

Bibs recommended

Back