THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, you made up your mind, but personally, I don't think it's worth joining just for the sake of joining, and as far as I know, KCBS doesn't sponser comps, they sanction them. If you have a Restaraunt Depot near you or plan to take advantage of any other discounts, by all means, do so, but I don't think my membership "got" me anything. I felt insulted by a member of the BOD, ignored by a staff member, I did not feel that my patronage was appreciated, and my votes for new BOD seemed to do no good. This is just one man's opinion, but if competitions don't require membership and you don't take advantage of the discounts, why bother?

dmp

It's the best organization of it's type. Not perfect, but, better than any alternative.

If those who compete don't join, the organization will go away...

dmprantz, you make a great point. I didn't say that I wanted to be active in the organization. Joining just to join is a problem - just like joining a church just to join is. You're right. Yet, if I join, I will be as active as I can be - and that may scare so of y'all :) LOL

If those who compete don't join, the organization will go away...

I'm not arguing just to argue, and I'm happy to have said my peace and walk away, but since you said this in response to me....

How much of the KCBS' operating budget comes from members' anual dues? How much comes from judge training? How much comes from santioning fees? How much comes from the overpriced apparel they sell, or the branded credit card they spammed me about? I don't know the finacials of the KCBS, but I'm not gonna take your word that they depend on annual dues to pay the bills.

dmp

:evil:
Well, you made up your mind, but personally, I don't think it's worth joining just for the sake of joining, and as far as I know, KCBS doesn't sponser comps, they sanction them. If you have a Restaraunt Depot near you or plan to take advantage of any other discounts, by all means, do so, but I don't think my membership "got" me anything. I felt insulted by a member of the BOD, ignored by a staff member, I did not feel that my patronage was appreciated, and my votes for new BOD seemed to do no good. This is just one man's opinion, but if competitions don't require membership and you don't take advantage of the discounts, why bother?

dmp
I don't agree with the president, I didn't vote for him and I didn't vote for some or my reps. The key is I DID vote and therefore can disagree and have my say. Without a vote, I think I will leave the USA and go live in Mexico. It may be safer!!!lol:decision:

Do you like junk mail, even years after you drop your membership?

If so, join up ASAP!!!

Actually, a simple email to the staff at the KCBS office will take you off the list. Is it possible to take you off the brethern junk mail list as well? Just a question, nothing meant!

I renewed my membership 2 years ago.
This year I saved $10 dollars on my Sam's Club membership dues, also saved well over double the costs on my hotel fees while staying at a preferred hotel in Kansas City, Ks. while attending the American Royal.
I also vote in every election. Therefore I believe I have a right to voice my opinion when I address the KCBS BOD when I have a complaint.

I'm a member, a cook and a certified judge but I don't judge. The only reason I keep with it is to get the Bullsheet. Thats worth $35/year. I'll never be TOY cause I don't cook enough and I don't take advantage of the other perks they offer (my fault).

Let me ask this: Why do you, as a cook, enter KCBS contests? Is it for the consistant judging, maybe because the prize $$$ is guaranteed to be there, could it be because you know that the rules for one contest will be the same as for another one? Is it because you know that you'll have double-blind judging by impartial judges - not the bank president who only wants his nephew to win?
These things are guarenteed by the sanctioning body - in this case KCBS. If none of the above is important to you as a cook then maybe you should only cook in the non-sanctioned backyard / county fair contests.

Here's another thought just for kicks: If you are not a member should you be eligable for ToY points?

I like the Bullsheet. I enjoy reading about contests from all over the country. I wish that the results were updated quicker, but I get by. $35 a year, the B-sheet alone is worth that to me. :thumb:

I asked myself when its time to renew, if it is worth it? I mean KCBS events are few and far between here in PNWBA land, and I can count on one hand the number of events I've been involved in. And when I read the Pacific Northwest reports from Bob Lyon in the Bullsheet, I cringe because they are not representing the BBQ scene around here. I suppose I could submit my own articles and hope they might be published?
If there is a KCBS comp here, I will cook it or Judge, because it's all about the BBQ.

Please join. The current "thing" with the board involves some board members who do not understand the role of board service or the way the board functions for an organization. It will go away in time. The cost of membership is low and the benefits are significant.

I'm a member, a cook and a judge that doesn't judge. I enjoy competing and you never know when you are going to take the big walk and want to compete more, next thing you know your in the running for TOY. :crazy: Ok, maybe not, but I enjoy reading the bullsheet. :p

Let me ask this: Why do you, as a cook, enter KCBS contests? Is it for the consistant judging, maybe because the prize $$$ is guaranteed to be there, could it be because you know that the rules for one contest will be the same as for another one? Is it because you know that you'll have double-blind judging by impartial judges - not the bank president who only wants his nephew to win?
These things are guarenteed by the sanctioning body - in this case KCBS. If none of the above is important to you as a cook then maybe you should only cook in the non-sanctioned backyard / county fair contests.

Here's another thought just for kicks: If you are not a member should you be eligable for ToY points?

Are you asking me? Heck, I don't know :heh:
I don't even know what ToY points are-I get to win toys? Cool. LOL

Are you asking me?

No Dan, that question was geared towards those who cook in (and get the benifits of) KCBS contests but refuse to join & then publicly downgrade the organization. It sometimes seems to me that the most vocal people against the KCBS are ones that sure seem to enter a lot of their contests.

Back