Shopping for a new smoker (<$1000 range) - pellet, electric, open to suggestions

check out smoke daddy and talk to Dennis. I have the 969 pellet pro and freaking love it.
they upgraded the PID controller on those and cook with awesome results.

He can work up a nice package to include a cover, frog mats and a nice load of pellets.

I recommend getting the big kahuna attachment which can be used for cold smoking or just adding more smoke to your Q!

I get a lot of compliments on all of my food and I know people are not just being polite.:-D

Check out the Hunsaker drum smoker. I consider this not only the best drum smoker but the best smoker you can buy.

Attachments

• 20140720_044314.jpg
    20140720_044314.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 213
THANKS everyone for chiming in. I love some of the suggestions...some I hadn't seen before.

Honestly, I can't see passing up the Green Mountain big David Bowie with Wifi for $699. can you? Anyone have any reason NOT to go with that at half the price of a smaller RecTec, Yoder, etc.?

I'd personally stay away from the Chinese made pellet grills (GMG, Traeger), I'm not impressed with their build quality. If given the chance, I'd choose Yoder.

XL BGE or XL Primo

Out of his desired price range if new, but he could certainly find one on the secondhand market.

Pellets seem unnatural...

Greetings all! I'm in the market for something new. I've been cooking and competing on two 18" WSMs for some time now with great success, but I think my competing days are done and these two kettles are looking for a new home. Now, it'll just be me cooking for me (and 100 of my favorite people now and then). I've been reading and researching and chatting, but I'm still in the early phases. I figured it was time to ask the brethren to chime in.

What I want - doesn't mean it's doable I know:
- need to be <$1000 and ideally significantly less
- want a very much set it and forget cooker. My WSMs have always been great at holding temp
- would like a fair amount of cooking space. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do maybe 3 big butts or 2 briskets or half-a-dozen racks
- I'm open to fuel options

I contemplated adding a Rocks or IQ controller (wiFi or bluetooth) to one of my WSMs and sticking with that, but at $300+, they are steep (and don't overcome the shortfalls of my WSMs - size, accessibility to lower rack during cook, etc)

Right now, I'm leaning heavily toward the Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone pellet smoker @ $699. I've read some really good things about them and the built in WiFi controller is a big plus. I'd love the larger Jim Bowie @ $899

RecTec's are out of my price range and don't have an integrated controller.

I've considered going with a vertical electric smoker like a Bradley (6 rack for $430) or a 40" Masterbuilt with bluetooth controller ($360) but I'm worried that I won't love the flavor profile of what I can produce with them.

So, can I hear from the crowd? If you had <$1000 to spend on a "lazy-man's" smoker that didn't need much in the way of babysitting, had ample volume, and that produced fine meats, what would it be?

Thanks all!

Personally, I'd never consider any type of cooker where I had to get some sort of processed, man made, chemically composed fuel. If it requires some sort of special "Pellet" type fuel that doesn't generally come from nature, I'd not really consider it.

Me? I'm trying to get more healthy with anything I consume. I don't buy much processed foods, I cook from scratch 99% of the time, and for cooking fuel on my grills/smokers...I like either real wood, or lump charcoal. I will, occasionally use briquettes, but I try to avoid them as that they are in the fomer category I mentioned and that makes them more similar to pellets or whatever.

Just my $0.02.

I got my Stick Burner, a bandera style one, pretty heavy duty metal too...for about $800-$900 if I recall. And for the most part, it is set and forget, just have to add a log every 1.5 to 2 hours...it maintains temps pretty readily and had lots of cooking area.

You can get one of the ceramic cookers, the BGE Large or the Komodo in the $1K range....they aren't as big as a dedicated stick burner, but you can stack a good bit of meat in those things, and you fuel them with lump charcoal, and add in some real wood chunks.

These ceramic things really ARE set and forget, once you dial in that temperature...you can go 20+ hours on the good ones and keep your temps.

The ceramics also double as really great grills....so, two birds with one stone so to speak...

Just my $0.02.....but really, I'm trying to keep my foods and fuel as close to natural as I can....and keep the man made chemically enhanced stuff as far away from my mouth as possible.

cayenne

Personally, I'd never consider any type of cooker where I had to get some sort of processed, man made, chemically composed fuel. If it requires some sort of special "Pellet" type fuel that doesn't generally come from nature, I'd not really consider it.

cayenne

Someone once said, "yeah I cook on a stick burner, I just use really tiny sticks."

cooking pellets aren't processed or have added chemicals, they're just compressed wood or sawdust.

Another option is to look for a used insulated cabinet smoker like a Backwoods, Stumps or something along those lines. I've seen a few Brethren post wanted adds in the sales and ventures and got lucky.

Someone once said, "yeah I cook on a stick burner, I just use really tiny sticks."

cooking pellets aren't processed or have added chemicals, they're just compressed wood or sawdust.

And on top of that, a stick burner is a hardly a "set it & forget it" type cooker.

Do not get a Bradley. You will be stuck buying those sawdust pucks and the taste of your food will be below what you can make on a WSM. I considered myself lucky to sell my Bradley for 60 cents on the dollar. Someone out there may be able to make a good meal on the contraption but I couldn't figure it out.

Binders are chemicals...

No binders in there at all.....?

Depends...

And on top of that, a stick burner is a hardly a "set it & forget it" type cooker.

I guess it depends on your definition of "set it and forget it".

I'd mentioned that once my stick burner is going....I only have to basically add a log or so every couple of hours. About on my mopping/basting schedule....

To me, that is pretty much set and forget. Sure a bit more variance on temperature than say my BGE XL I got...which if you don't have to mop/baste...you really can set it and forget it and not have to open or check it for like 20 hours....

So, I guess it depends on your definition of set and forget. But if something requires me to do something simple at the same times I'm tending the meat with a mop, I don't consider that to be much more than set and forget.

C

I guess it depends on your definition of "set it and forget it".

I'd mentioned that once my stick burner is going....I only have to basically add a log or so every couple of hours. About on my mopping/basting schedule....

To me, that is pretty much set and forget. Sure a bit more variance on temperature than say my BGE XL I got...which if you don't have to mop/baste...you really can set it and forget it and not have to open or check it for like 20 hours....

So, I guess it depends on your definition of set and forget. But if something requires me to do something simple at the same times I'm tending the meat with a mop, I don't consider that to be much more than set and forget.

C

The learning curve for a stick burner, is much higher than almost any other cooker IMO. Doesn't sound like the OP has any experience with one, so I'd say it probably the farthest thing from a set it & forget it type cooker in this case. You love your's, that's great...but I'd venture to guess that you'd get many others to agree that it fits the bill for what is being asked for here.

Another option is to look for a used insulated cabinet smoker like a Backwoods, Stumps or something along those lines. I've seen a few Brethren post wanted adds in the sales and ventures and got lucky.

If you aren't in a hurry and can be patient, this is a great way to get the best bang for your buck. I just recently sold a Backwoods in your price range to buy an Assassin at about 1/2 price of a new one. Craigslist, word of mouth at contests and BBQ forums are great sources.

If I remember correctly, the cookin' pellets guy said that there's some sort of natural starch that holds the wood together when it's compressed under best and pressure, so at least in his there's no additives.

I think for the size and the price, the GMG Jim Bowie is great to fit your needs. I also have a WSM and a MES. The electric cooker does not have near the smoke flavor the WSM has. That is also an issue some pellet cookers seem to have. I use an Amazn tube to supplement in the electric, and it does a good job.
Been looking at pellet cookers myself, as the highest temp on my MES is 275. I like to smoke some foods higher (like chicken).
Good luck.

No binders in there at all.....?

Our Cooking Pellets are 100% Hardwood with NO fillers. Some companies use oak or alder as a filler.
This is not bad but it will make a less flavorful bbq smoke or cook.
Our Pellets have NO additives or binders added!
We have decided to offer only 2 types of bbq wood pellets (smoking pellets). It is our Perfect Mix. And 100% Hickory. We have done extensive testing with loads of different meat and types of pellets. We have talked with some of the biggest competition teams and restaurants that use pellets and they all agree that a good MIX is the answer! Our Perfect Mix is Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple and Apple.No Oak or Alder...Just 100% of the top hardwoods. The way we make this recipe never changes so it has a very consistent flavor. Great for short cooks like chicken, burgers, pork chops, fish and awesome for long smokes like pulled pork, brisket, turkey, whole pigs, whatever you smoke or cook the Perfect Mix delivers a good smoke flavor without having to have 12 different containers stacked up in the garage. I'm not saying you shouldn't use the other 100% variety woods. I am just trying to make it easier for those that want a great consistent smoke or cook with less hassle and our PERFECT MIX will deliver just that!!
We also offer our 100% Hickory. It is just that, Hickory.
We only use heart-woods, no outer bark, no reclaimed wood, no scrap, no oil additives, no binders!! Pellets are as safe as using chunks of hardwoods or anything else you are used to smoking with. The main difference is that when you buy pellets you are recycling used wood, (sawdust) keeping our landfills free from usable materials. Just simply put... A Green Choice!

From CookinPellets.com

So...how?

Our Cooking Pellets are 100% Hardwood with NO fillers. Some companies use oak or alder as a filler.
This is not bad but it will make a less flavorful bbq smoke or cook.
Our Pellets have NO additives or binders added!
We have decided to offer only 2 types of bbq wood pellets (smoking pellets). It is our Perfect Mix. And 100% Hickory. We have done extensive testing with loads of different meat and types of pellets. We have talked with some of the biggest competition teams and restaurants that use pellets and they all agree that a good MIX is the answer! Our Perfect Mix is Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple and Apple.No Oak or Alder...Just 100% of the top hardwoods. The way we make this recipe never changes so it has a very consistent flavor. Great for short cooks like chicken, burgers, pork chops, fish and awesome for long smokes like pulled pork, brisket, turkey, whole pigs, whatever you smoke or cook the Perfect Mix delivers a good smoke flavor without having to have 12 different containers stacked up in the garage. I'm not saying you shouldn't use the other 100% variety woods. I am just trying to make it easier for those that want a great consistent smoke or cook with less hassle and our PERFECT MIX will deliver just that!!
We also offer our 100% Hickory. It is just that, Hickory.
We only use heart-woods, no outer bark, no reclaimed wood, no scrap, no oil additives, no binders!! Pellets are as safe as using chunks of hardwoods or anything else you are used to smoking with. The main difference is that when you buy pellets you are recycling used wood, (sawdust) keeping our landfills free from usable materials. Just simply put... A Green Choice!

From CookinPellets.com
So...if you are making pellets from sawdust...and you say you use no binders, how do you form and hold sawdust in pellet form/shape? I have a difficult time believing that pressure alone will keep sawdust in a firm pellet form?

Thanks in advance,

C

Back