Shirley Fabrication 24x36... Possible to install a rotisserie kit in there?

Downr@nge

Found some matches.
Hello brethren! Question for you all. I'm looking to pull the trigger on the SF 24x36 patio smoker. I wanted to know if you guys think it's possible to install a rotisserie kit in the main cabinet. I know you can with the bigger straightback (next size up), but I feel that's too much grill for how much I cook. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

I typically associate rotisseries with cooking over coals. Would there be much benefit spinning meat in the smoking chamber alone? Adding one to a Shirley warmer above the firebox sounds killer though.

I typically associate rotisseries with cooking over coals. Would there be much benefit spinning meat in the smoking chamber alone? Adding one to a Shirley warmer above the firebox sounds killer though.

You are right about the over the coals statement. I was thinking something is better than nothing.

Are you speaking about multi rack rotisserie? That is alot of protein depending on 3, 4 or 5 rotating racks. Like some of the rotisserie smokers out there.
Or a single rod rotisserie.
Not that hard of a project. I'm sure either could be built/installed. Especially by the Shirley crew.

there is a guy that did one in Shirley the warmer with the elevated charcoal grate . Shirley also makes a option for a elevated charcoal grate in the main chamber on there bigger models and would have to contact them if they could do it in a 36 .

Thanks for the replies fellas! I'm going to reach out to the Shirley folks and see if they could brainstorm with me. Maybe something like making the baffle plate in the main chamber removable and putting an optional charcoal rack in there. That would be awesome! I only want to cook one or two chickens at a time rotisserie style. I don't know if you've all had it before, but Peruvian Pollo a la Brassa (Peruvian rotisserie chicken) is AMAZING!

My other option is to simply get a rotisserie kit for my XL Big Green Egg, but if I can get a kit in the offset, that would be preferable.

I am pretty sure that Pollo a la Brassa is cooked over an open fire pit, or at least it was when I had it in Peru.

I now spin birds in the outdoor fireplace, but when I used to do them on the Weber they would spend most of the time with the lid off, ot was the only way to get the skin to crisp right.

Like others have said, not sure the advantages of have that in an offset. A well heated tube of metal does a good job radiating heat from all sides so not sure what would be improved.

That being said, I love seeing what sort of custom stuff Paul and crew can come up with to meet the needs of us crazy people. Good luck

Thanks for the replies fellas! I'm going to reach out to the Shirley folks and see if they could brainstorm with me. Maybe something like making the baffle plate in the main chamber removable and putting an optional charcoal rack in there. That would be awesome! I only want to cook one or two chickens at a time rotisserie style. I don't know if you've all had it before, but Peruvian Pollo a la Brassa (Peruvian rotisserie chicken) is AMAZING!

My other option is to simply get a rotisserie kit for my XL Big Green Egg, but if I can get a kit in the offset, that would be preferable.

Just FYI - any modifications to the 24x36" is considered a "custom build" and will put you on the 2 year wait list. I know b/c I just asked if they could add a warmer to the 24x36" for the ultimate patio smoker.

Just FYI - any modifications to the 24x36" is considered a "custom build" and will put you on the 2 year wait list. I know b/c I just asked if they could add a warmer to the 24x36" for the ultimate patio smoker.

Yes, the 24x36 has very limited options (a shelf I think) before it becomes a custom smoker.

Hello brethren! Question for you all. I'm looking to pull the trigger on the SF 24x36 patio smoker. I wanted to know if you guys think it's possible to install a rotisserie kit in the main cabinet. I know you can with the bigger straightback (next size up), but I feel that's too much grill for how much I cook. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

I would think a Gyro or Kebab burner in the warmer box would be a lot more useful.

For a single chicken or two in a rotisserie, there are a lot of more practical options. Personally, I'd do a Weber Kettle and save the Shirley for something more appropriate.

Now a mini-Doner burner in a warmer box ... hmm ... that's worth a custom build IMHO.

Hmm... Gabby's Grills look interesting. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also, after looking at more YouTube videos, the 24x42 is looking more and more enticing.

This video pretty much sold on the 24x42 ��

https://youtu.be/evAMnqGKF98

Last edited:
Hmm... Gabby's Grills look interesting. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also, after looking at more YouTube videos, the 24x42 is looking more and more enticing.

This video pretty much sold on the 24x42 ��

https://youtu.be/evAMnqGKF98

That's the perfect size IMO... I'd like to see that same build on a trailer. My name should be pulled from the hat in the next few months.

They will add a few more "options" but nothing that affects the basic components. I know they will add an umbrella holder and I've seen a paper towel rod on the handle end too. On mine, in addition to a stainless shelf/backsplash, Tyler added another probe port on the right side, an extra set of rails inside so I could equally space the two big grates, and a temp fan port on the firebox vent. None of those modifications changed the firebox or cook chambers.

Question for the 24x42 owners. I just looked through all Shirley's videos and I couldn't get a good look at the firebox/warmer and how they are connected. As you know, I want to cook rotisserie in the warmer over fire. I know I could put charcoal in the warmer, but I want to do it over fire in the warmer.

Now this is the question. Is there a removable plate between the firebox and the warmer? Or is it just the damper opening? How big is that opening?

I know you are trying to add a rotiss to the warmer, but think of the difficulty of getting the food in and out. If there is just 2 holes drilled on opposite sides of the warmer that the rod sits in, you would have to load the food inside the chamber and unload by sliding off. Tough when the food and grill is several hundred degrees. I was playing with adding a rotis on my hasty bake and I found that issue, as I was trying to use the 2 existing vent holes. Most Rotis slide into slots, that you can load in and remove the entire rod and the contents. Just a little food for thought, good luck with your quest

I know you are trying to add a rotiss to the warmer, but think of the difficulty of getting the food in and out. If there is just 2 holes drilled on opposite sides of the warmer that the rod sits in, you would have to load the food inside the chamber and unload by sliding off. Tough when the food and grill is several hundred degrees. I was playing with adding a rotis on my hasty bake and I found that issue, as I was trying to use the 2 existing vent holes. Most Rotis slide into slots, that you can load in and remove the entire rod and the contents. Just a little food for thought, good luck with your quest

You're right. I'm still keeping my options open. Some other options I have been researching are the Carson Rodizio, the Gabby's Grill, and the Joe Rotisserie for the Big green Egg.

As far as putting the rotisserie in the Shirley warmer and opening up the damper, today I got a good look at the damper going from the firebox into the warmer. I can see simply asking the folks at Shirley to just make that damper plate bigger so the flame can somewhat come up into the warmer.

As far as placing food and removing it from the spit, yes I could see it being a pain in the rear, but I would only do one, maybe two chickens at once. Maybe some Picana steaks as well so I'd use tongs.

I've also thought about creating a design and asking Shirley to make it. I don't need a huge dedicated rotisserie; just something big enough for the backyard and my family.

Back