THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bosox1901

Knows what a fatty is.
Calling on Shirley owners to help me out on my 24x50 patio w/warmer

My build is something like this...its a patchwork of what I've seen others have had done.
I have never cooked for more than 10, usually just 4-5 people, and at least once a week. Usually its brisket, butts, and ribs. But I am looking to expand my skill set.
I think i have covered all the bases. What do you guys think, have i missed anything important? or maybee something not on the list that i may regret down the road?
Any and all suggestion or comments will be greatly appreciated, especially the Firebox options.

COOK CHAMBER

Standard cart, casters in front, wheels at the back
Cabinet doors, standard height
Strait back
Dual thermometers
Dual or quad probe ports. 2 for the lower grate, 2 for the upper
Stainless shelf in front of cooker
Dual dampeners
2" angled drain valve {if its even an option, forgot to ask paul about that}

WARMER

Standard height
Additional rack [for a total of 3]
Sausage hangers
Thermometer
Probe port
2" raised charcoal basket
Folding mini shelf on the outside of warmer

FIREBOX

1/2" but considering the insulated. Even though i live in Florida
Searing rack in the Firebox
Firebox door facing the cook chamber { don't even know if its an option, again i forgot to ask paul about that }

You might want to consider a single fold down propane burner on the end of the main chamber, otherwise you pretty well have your cooker decked out. You could also have the warmer turned so that all of the cooking doors are on one side.

I'd rather drop the coin you'd spend on an insulated or even the 1/2 firebox on other upgrades. I'm in GA and the 1/4 is just fine. But I also totally get getting things you simply want.

if it was me you do not need the insulated firebox where you live and on the ports I can fit 4 probes though one port and just trying to save you a little money . I am thinking of down sizing to something what your getting and I am sure you will be very happy with what you get .

if it was me you do not need the insulated firebox where you live and on the ports I can fit 4 probes though one port and just trying to save you a little money . I am thinking of down sizing to something what your getting and I am sure you will be very happy with what you get .
haha...good looking out. I'm sure in the big scheme of things the probe ports will be the least of my bank account busting upgrades. i hear you though, the ports do look oversized from what I've seen. definitely bigger than what i have on my Yoder.

You might want to consider a single fold down propane burner on the end of the main chamber, otherwise you pretty well have your cooker decked out. You could also have the warmer turned so that all of the cooking doors are on one side.
yeah, I've seen that fold down propane burner on some of his videos. if i was getting a trailer model i would probably add it

Bosox, I am getting the same one, good post, you have some options I did not consider. Thanks for asking the question,

I wish I would have specified a thermometer with a 5" dial. My 3" ones are hard to read looking out the window onto the patio. I'll be upgrading to the 5" tell tru this year.

I wish I would have specified a thermometer with a 5" dial. My 3" ones are hard to read looking out the window onto the patio. I'll be upgrading to the 5" tell tru this year.
damn, i knew i was forgetting something. i have 3" on my Yoder and can barely read those.

Freak check your PM

You can replace your dials to bigger ones on your own. They should just thread right in to where the others are mounted. The mount for the thermos are universal.

If there's something specific you want for thermometers, just buy them and have them shipped to Paul. That's what I did..

You are correct on the gas assist. They don't do it.

You think quad dials on the cabinets would be overkill? 2 for the upper rack, 2 for the lower. i know they are pretty much just hood ornaments. Also i have noticed that they are always placed a little above the centerline. shouldn't they be closer to the lower rack, if thats where the majority of cooks take place? and then you can guesstimate an extra 25-35 for the upper

5" vs 3"

that extra 2" inches make a big difference. :shock:

a little visual aid in case anyone wants to know. 5" on the cc and 3" on the warmer. i probably should have just went 5" on all 3.

SF 5 vs 3.jpg

The gauges give you a ballpark idea. Personally I don't feel like I need anymore than that. Temp control on an offset isn't precise. Is it around 275ish? Great. About all I rely on my gauges for is - A. Is it up to temp? B. Is it cooling off/fire low? C. Is the fire too hot?

And the temps are close enough throughout the unit, 4 would be overkill. I always cook on top rack first anyways. Knowing that it's 5 degrees cooler on the bottom rack is nice, but I'm not sure what I'd do with that information...

If you're doing a straightback, I'd do the elevated and 3rd grate. Then have extra slide rails like Jason TQ did. That is the only thing I didn't think of and wish I had. I still may have a welding shop here do it or bring it down to them when I go visit a friend in Bessemer. I'll have the unit with me so it'd a quick pit stop.

Back