THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Thanks to SirPorkaLot's NC Barbecue thread, I've had a serious hankerin' for a taste of home ever since.

Had plans to go be the jolly old elf at the squadron's kids' Christmas Party yesterday, but Mother Nature had other plans.

2016-12-17%2011.18.15_zpsvzcudgkn.jpg

Temps plunged into the single digits to the 0F I see on Wunderground this morning.

Dragged my butt out of bed as our sick baby sounded the alarm at precisely 0630, so we got her some meds and Momma snuggled her back to sleep.

Fired up a chimney of lump and setup my new Thermoworks Smoke for the first time.
2016-12-18%2007.05.02_zps8olaurfl.jpg

- Yes, that reads 9F on my side patio. That's cold.

2016-12-18%2007.05.11_zpsuurwwfda.jpg

As the kettle came up to temp and stabilized close to 275, I grabbed the butt and added the 2nd probe to the mix.

No seasoning or rub on this just yet. I'm waiting for the 1 hour mark before I apply anything, and I think I'm going to keep it very simple with just kosher salt and a lot of hickory smoke.

Meanwhile, it's time to make "the trifecta" of Carolina Sauces (in my humble opinion):
- Lexington Dip (Recipe Link from AmazingRibs)
- Eastern NC Sauce (Recipe Link from SirPorkaLot)
- SC Style Sauce (I took Viking72's Tidewater Thin and tweaked it a bit to move the style a bit further South. Recipe Link)

More to come. Y'all have a great Sunday!

Is it done yet, Marc??

I basically used those same sauces at a Christmas party last night!:thumb:

Kettle's been running 300-340F today, and I put the butt on to smoke at 0730. This fantastic Smoke receiver tells me that the IT is 151.6F (to the decimal... *chuckle*), and I'm going to take it to at least 195 before I even think about giving the bone a wiggle.

Perhaps I should put it in an aluminum pan as it gets closer to 160 to catch some of the juices and such for later.

Nice to hear that other folks enjoy those sauces, too!
They're so easy to make and they generally keep for quite a while.

You're braver than me Shadow. I'm staying in where it's warm. lol

Snow's been melting off my roof all day long... now the water's trying to freeze on my back patio (where the kettle is). So, that'll be fun.

Luckily, that pork butt just hit 195F, so I brought it inside to sit (in a pan) in a warm oven for a bit. Bone will ease out of there with no problem when I decide to pull.

2016-12-18%2014.58.09_zpsi5aipbjl.jpg

Couldn't believe that I'm not smoking a fatty, so decided to correct the error in my ways. Broke out the Joe Kem's BBQ Rub from Moultrie, Georgia (thanks to DouglasLizard!) and stoked the fire a little in the kettle.

2016-12-18%2015.01.03_zpsqxstcfrs.jpg

Nibbled on the pork that stuck to the grill grate... this is going to be some good 'cue in a little bit.

Back