Self Contained Reverse Flow Concept

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
I have this idea in my head for a reverse flow maybe made from a drum. It would be horizontal, with a charcoal basket on one end. The cooking grate would have a drip pan/heat shield like a normal reverse flow with an opening for the heat to come up and ack across the food and out the smokestack which would be right above the grate.

Obviously there will need to be a way to slide the charcoal basket out of the end of the drum or pipe, which is definitely do-able. Also as is there will be a hotspot right above the fire. I plan to fix this by either putting something like sand or cat litter in the pan or maybe making the bottom of the pan insulated somehow. I think that some long burn times should be attainable with the Minion Method. And that either low/slow or hot/fast should be no problem.

Also I would like to make it dual purpose, by making the pan so that it can be filled with charcoal and grilled over.

Im gonna try to make a sketch of exactly what I'm planning and post it. Anybody have any suggestions?

horizontal drum smoker....hmmmm... never seen one of those.

You do realize that the Upright Drum smoker is pound for pound the greatest smoker ever conceived.

horizontal drum smoker....hmmmm... never seen one of those.

You do realize that the Upright Drum smoker is pound for pound the greatest smoker ever conceived.

Oh yeah I have a UDS. Ive used it many times. I also have a WSM, a Bubba
Keg, a huge steel offset made by God knows who in Texas, a smaller offset, and a Weber Kettle bit when I want to eat Q I fire up the UDS.

I know that horizontal drum smokers have probably been done to death in Texas, but I'm wanting to make something that will let me cook while keeping direct heat from the fire off of the food. This and uneven heating seem to be problems in smaller offsets. I also think there will be an increase in fuel efficiency by having everything in one container but I might be wrong.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

why not have firebox under the smoker that would be direct heat.

I have looked into that also.
Such as the big baby design. I guess the best way to sum up what I'm trying to achieve is the efficiency of a UDS with the cooking properties of an offset.

I have one but it built out of an railroad car air tank with a 18x 22 1/8 firebox. with 6 slots cut in the cooking chamber with a plate ove the hole to keep grease out and have a 3' smoke stack in the middle . I have built 4 of these cookers and I will put them up against any high end cooker.

I have one but it built out of an railroad car air tank with a 18x 22 1/8 firebox. with 6 slots cut in the cooking chamber with a plate ove the hole to keep grease out and have a 3' smoke stack in the middle . I have built 4 of these cookers and I will put them up against any high end cooker.

Sounds interesting. Have any pics of that?

DSCN9209.jpg

Very nice. Im guessing you get some pretty even temps on that.

it really get some really even temp, also it great for grilling it will reach a high temp very fast, also use very little wood and hold heat great . actually the fire will go out it still be up to heat. I think the tank wall is 3/8. I have built two of this type mount on trailer .

the only major problem with this one it top heavy easy to turn over I should haev pot some out riggers on it or made the base wider

Back