THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like Lumberjack but it's $.90/lb around here with tax and/or shipping. Just got some Pit Boss Hickory and Apple (2 bags of each) for half the price. I don't expect results equal to Lumberjack, but if they're slightly better than Pit Boss Competition Blend, I'll be satisfied for most cooks.

I wanted to try Traeger but there so expensive compared to what I can get Pit Boss, Smokehouse or Lumberjack pellets. I refuse to pay more than 50 cents per pound. The Smokehouse pellets I got from Sams are much bigger diameter wise than the other brands I listed, but so far no issues.

Then you need to look for pellets that are labeled as 100% xxxxx.

Lumberjack sells a 100% flavor wood pellet & a blend. The blend is 60% Oak 40% flavor wood. A lot of other pellet makers do the same.

I understand that a lot of times, the base is needed to give consistent btu output. Some 100% wood pellets can be low on btu's and give problems.

I use lumberjack 100% cherry and 100% hickory and have no issues with results or BTU’s. I also use their MHC mix with great results. Lumberjack are far superior to traeger pellets imo

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks again everyone! The patent link is very interesting, but it feels like we still don't know for sure whether or not they actually use the technique? (I work in tech, and defensive patents are everywhere, and often not used.) Not a criticism, just saying I hope we can eventually learn more about the facts on the ground.

I did find that I can get Lumberjack pellets at Dick's Sporting Goods not too far south of Seattle. And already have a 33 lb bag of Traeger pellets from Costco (~$18). So I'll probably pick up some Lumberjack pellets in the future and alternate and see if I can see a difference. Will report back whatever I can tell from my unsophisticated take on things!

Traeger pellets work great in your firepit, but for flavor and taste they suck. I tried Cookin' Pellets once and they were OK, but I really like BBQ Delight (Also relabeled as BB Pellets at Academy Sports)

I also found that lumberjack pellets add more Smokey flavor than trager or pit boss pellets.

You can get some varieties of lumberjack at your local Dicks. I also found that dicks offers free shipping over a certain amount, so I ordered 4 bags to get free shipping.

The lumberjack still wasn’t enough for me and luckily RCAlen posted about his Heavy-D stick burning diffuser. The Heavy D Heat Diffuser That Will Turn Your Pellet Grill into a Stick Burner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J1T6SYR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KI7XCb07PSRXY

I bought one and have three or four cooks on in so far and I’m sold.

Chris

Last edited:
Back