Seeing as there are some very clever/knowledgeable people on here - will be able to get pork butts again?

Yup!

Funny thing is you can find all kinds of meat but no beans anywhere. :laugh:

Round here the stores are empty of pantry items - there’s no pasta, flour, noodles, frozen food anywhere. People are stockpiling random stuff which I know will go to waste. I side eye so many carts and pass remark to myself and these people can’t cook. I might be wrong but when you have TV dinners and organic bulgar rice in your cart those things don’t go together. I’m very judgemental, don’t judge me.

There’s no flour but loads of yeast in my local vons. So what are people doing with the flour? Also local vons full of fresh fruit and veg. I buy fresh veg and cut it how we like it and freeze the left overs.

Still haven’t found pork butt down here but I decided to stay in place and only go to the local store for milk. I’ll venture further towards Torrance later in the week.

Lol, too funny. I've been making the same observations myself. People must be getting real tired off their noodle red sauce diet.

Meanwhile I've smoked 3 pork butts and baked 4 batards (bread loaf). I guess having 2 deep freezers of existing meat made it pretty easy.

My local, small town grocer said that he's starting to see a surplus in the food supply, due to the restaurants closing.

Here in Maryland people are purchasing products just for the sake of it. I've peered over into people's carts with grocery items that we both know that they have NO idea of how to cook or use. Most will go to waste unfortunately.

After SirPorkalot made me regret smoking a brisket this weekend? Somebody better have a butt for sale in rock throwing distance - or rocks may be thrown.

guess I could thaw one - but what would I do with my semi-righteous indignation then? :-D

Not sure if this helps, but I come from one of the top two pork (and food in general) producing states in the country. We are running strong here. In fact, the Iowa grocery association just said that food is not a problem. We are still running full-out in Iowa, particularly for food production. For what that's worth...

Check to see if grocery stores have the fully cooked rotisserie chickens. It's not BBQ but it will suffice for a couple of weeks. There's a lot of different things you can make with the rotisserie chickens other than eating it plain.

Publix had a bunch yesterday, some flavors on sale.

It's a scientific fact that rotisserie chickens taste best if eaten while standing at the kitchen counter and with no utensils involved.

SoCal farkers know that this extrapolates to Zankou chicken as well.

"It's a scientific fact that rotisserie chickens taste best if eaten while standing at the kitchen counter and with no utensils involved."

I've done that- with and without pants and it is pretty good.

(going no pants- make sure the blinds are drawn and the mother in law is not over for a stay- and that's all I'm saying)

In SC we are loaded up on chicken, beef, and pork. Hope it makes it your way soon. We could use some bread and tp!

Round here the stores are empty of pantry items - there’s no pasta, flour, noodles, frozen food anywhere. People are stockpiling random stuff which I know will go to waste. I side eye so many carts and pass remark to myself and these people can’t cook. I might be wrong but when you have TV dinners and organic bulgar rice in your cart those things don’t go together. I’m very judgemental, don’t judge me.

There’s no flour but loads of yeast in my local vons. So what are people doing with the flour? Also local vons full of fresh fruit and veg. I buy fresh veg and cut it how we like it and freeze the left overs.

Still haven’t found pork butt down here but I decided to stay in place and only go to the local store for milk. I’ll venture further towards Torrance later in the week.

I've been baking up a storm here and yeast is the one thing I can't get! I already had a few bags of bread and AP flour, but the one thing I can't seem to get is yeast. Trying to stay home as much as possible so I figured I would hit up amazon and yeast is going for 5x what it normally would and is 2 weeks out. Luckily I found a few packets of yeast I bought on a whim a few months ago

Finding meat is hit or miss in Southern MD. The bigger problem I have is I need an extra freezer and they are sold out all over the country, so even if I do find some extra beef or pork I've got no way to store it!

I ventured out this afternoon and went to sprouts and lazy acres neither had much pork at all. I did get boar meat at sprouts

One thing I noticed with the grocery stores here in the South Bay is there’s a lot of meat - previously frozen. I’m suspicious that the markets are cleaning out the deep freezers. There’s no “fresh” meat at either store I went to today. Also there’s a load of frozen turkeys out now.

I wouldn't have otherwise noticed this thread, but today I was at the King Soopers here in Longmont. The one thing they DID have was Butts. Tons of them. Probably 12-15 when there are usually 3-4. The rest of the place was kinda cleaned out, although its getting back to normal compared to last week.

I'm hoping that pork butts stay below the radar. My wife is getting mad at me, but I've made 4 so far in the stay at home period.

I was lucky enough to pick up the Easter Bunny from Shoprite. We are all going to eat good on Easter.

20200324-220128.jpg

I'm hoping that pork butts stay below the radar. My wife is getting mad at me, but I've made 4 so far in the stay at home period.

I found some today, and called home. "how many do you think I should get?" because, I wanted to buy 4 to cook this week, and I was not in the mood to deal with her calling me a hoarder or harassing me for bring too many back. Luckily, she suggested I grab 4, so it worked out for us.

I cook pork shoulder in an embarrassing way. SOMEONE (not me, but maybe the only other person that lives here) decided we need to put people-food on the dogs dishes each night. So, I cook the pork. I like it for the exercise of it, and it's a chance to try and test new things. I pull all the bark (with the rub/seasoning/salt) off for us, and then the rest gets chopped up for the 'babies'. So, we go through a shoulder every 2 weeks. I get scared if I can't find them. I'm NOT about to pay $4/lb for dog food.

Not sure if this helps, but I come from one of the top two pork (and food in general) producing states in the country. We are running strong here. In fact, the Iowa grocery association just said that food is not a problem. We are still running full-out in Iowa, particularly for food production. For what that's worth...
Good to hear. Love me some Iowa meat.

Plenty of pork butts, st louis spares, and baby backs at my local Wegmans. Chicken almost completely picked over, beef and other pork picked over but plenty of options.

I was happy to see plenty of bbq cuts and bacon LOL

At one point I could of bought 10 pork butts but no toilet paper. People are crazy.

Pork Butts on sale locally..... a mere 97 cents per pound. You need an additional 25 buck purchase but a case of beer and some dip will cover that. Good eatin' this weekend.

Back