THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you think they were too fatty you should trim down to St. Louis style.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

That's what they were advertised as, St. Louis style, and from what I thought I had learned, they were. I really need to sit with a butcher and talk meat. But it'd probably be easier to go find a youtube video on St. Louis style vs Spares vs Baby Back.

Thanks!

My suggestions:

Trim some fat for a leaner result. I've come to realize that external fat just isn't going to render all that well when smoking.

Forget the foil for a while.

Keep the temp down. I've come to enjoy smoking around 240*, but I learned at 225*. It's a good place to start.

Even though you're using a UDS, there's still a TON of useful information in Low and Slow, I'd get it, and adapt it to your setup. It's worth the time.

But at the end of the day... those are still some pretty good looking ribs!

Thanks! I'm definitely forgetting the foil, and will definately start trimming same fat, although I've been down this path before with butts & there's always going to be opposite views on trim the fat or don't trim the fat!

David

That's what they were advertised as, St. Louis style, and from what I thought I had learned, they were. I really need to sit with a butcher and talk meat. But it'd probably be easier to go find a youtube video on St. Louis style vs Spares vs Baby Back.

Thanks!

Plenty of you tube videos on rib types. St. Louis is just a trimmed slab of spares. You sound a bit like me and are too busy trying to do things perfectly instead of just relaxing and enjoying the cook. As others have said if you and your SO like it then you have accomplished your goal. They looked fine to me.

DavidJ, lots of great advice here. Mine would be to first trim to spares and remove excess fat off the bone side after removing the membrane.

Temps can get away from you real quick on a UDS if you are not careful. Open the UDS as little as possible. When you do open it, do what you need to do and get the lid back on right away. I have even closed my inlets 15 minutes prior to opening (dont forget to open them back up:oops:). When I USED to foil, I would have someone standing by with a sheet pan. I would open the UDS, pull all the meat, and put the lid back on. Once foiled, same thing. be quick with the lid. If you leave the lid off its allowing extra O2 to the coals and spiking your temps. Its hard to recover to 230-250 from a 350 spike.

I too have tried the 321 method and it never worked for me. 2.5-45-1 usually works for me, but I go by look now.

I threw all my prior knowlege aside on my last ribs. 250 for 4.5-5, no foil, fantastic. I discovered the "VooDoo" of foiling takes a lot of flavor away.

With every rack of ribs you cook from here on will only get better. We are our own worst crittics. Soon you'll be cooking perfect rack and telling yourself you could have done better. At least I do.

...You sound a bit like me and are too busy trying to do things perfectly instead of just relaxing and enjoying the cook. As others have said if you and your SO like it then you have accomplished your goal. They looked fine to me.

It's a critical flaw in my operating system :) But you're absolutely right, and I'm trying to learn to be less picky...

DavidJ, lots of great advice here. Mine would be to first trim to spares and remove excess fat off the bone side after removing the membrane.

Temps can get away from you real quick on a UDS if you are not careful. Open the UDS as little as possible. When you do open it, do what you need to do and get the lid back on right away. I have even closed my inlets 15 minutes prior to opening (dont forget to open them back up:oops:)...

With every rack of ribs you cook from here on will only get better. We are our own worst crittics. Soon you'll be cooking perfect rack and telling yourself you could have done better. At least I do.

I agree, the advice and encouragement from everyone, including yourself is simply outstanding!

David

Back