THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
I know, I know it's a gasser but I think it'll make a nice compliment to the UDS and Kettle for quicker cooks.

In any case I got this baby off the curb last week for FREE...it had been molested with fire and a fire extinguisher had been used on her and then she was left to die for a coule years until the owner finally had the nerve to put it out on the curb for rescue. It was very dirty and malnurished but a little TLC, new flavorizor bars and new cast iron grate and she feels like new again. I should have wiped the dew off before taking the pictures.

Hence the question...Do I need to season the new cast iron crates? And if so what is the recommended procedure.

Attachments

• IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 218
If they'r cast iron, why not treat them just like you would a pan? Coat it with bacon grease, put in your oven at 450* and wipe down. If they'll fit in your UDS, throw em in there for an hour or two with the coals fully lit. That's what I'd do:)

dmp

Dude that is one fine rescue, good one on you!!! I have cast iron grates on my Weber gasser, I oiled the grates when they where new with olive oil, and cranked up the heat for about an hour and turned the burners off and walked away and they are perfect now, nothing stick and a quick brush removes any debris....Great find!

The grill is missing the bottom wire shelf! Be careful moving it without it.

Where did you find the CI grates?

Thanks swamp...

I have the bottom wire shelf I was cleaning it and had not replaced it yet.

I purchased the CI Grates at Home Depot.

I seasoned the grates yesterday and plan a cook tonight.

Are you sure they are CI and not Porcelain coated CI?

I tried to get replacement CI grates from Weber and they didn't stock them. I ended up with a couple pair from some old Genesis and 1000 grills.
Bead blasted them then seasoned in the oven. Keep them clean and lubricated, let them heat up and try to burn off the crud after cooking on them. Bay Area weather will almost certainly cause them to rust, mine do here in Seattleland. Get some PAM for Grilling and spray them liberally.

You're right I checked the box they came in and they're Porcelain coated CI.

I'm with you on the rust. That's the biggest reason I wanted to get something on they grates as soon as I could.

Will the Porcelain coating help?

I'm pretty sure they don't need seasoning. I've rescued grills that had the PCCI grates and the coating will eventually break down and flake off over time, but I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a porcelain coated grate from my old BGE and it has a couple dings, but cleans up fine..
Is the grill a 2 or 3 burner?

It's a three burner. I identified the grill on Weber's website with the serial no. and it's a 2002 Genesis Silver B I believe.

I don't know much about gassers (or other grills for that matter) but I knew I wanted three burners as I figured I'd get more flexbility that way.

Can't wait to get cooking on it.

Last edited:
Back